My son’s first bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marauder03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the wife and I finally feel my son is mature enough to get a bike, it’s not a Vmax but I wouldn’t recommend that as a first bike anyway although that’s what he picked out at first, he wanted a 1st Gen. Maybe his 2nd bike will be a Vmax but right now let’s get something starter friendly. He picked out a sv650 Suzuki which after looking it up found it to be a great beginner bike, he found one at a dealership near by and we proceeded to purchase this bike which I know he overpaid but they are hard to come by in this area as I was told “bs” anyway go to pick it up and the salesman tells me there’s a slight problem, they realized it needed a new front tire so they installed one and at that time the teck broke the speedo pickup. Oh ok well how long is my question to which he replied the part will be in in two days and then they will install it immediately. Ya bout that, that was last Monday and come last Friday the part wasn’t delivered yet so he promises me it’ll be here tomorrow and I can pick up the bike then. The part is coming from California so it must be on a slow boat or something I don’t know but this poor kid has been waiting patiently where as I think I want him to have it more than he does. So tomorrow is the big day, allegedly. Im looking forward to teaching him the ropes and riding with him. Sorry it’s not a Vmax but we all started somewhere. Thanks for reading, just venting a little and impatiently waiting. Hopefully he will he will be safe and learn how riding is such a great experience. Wish him luck. We are going to have a new member in the future hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The SV650 is a great bike for someone who is either starting out, or an experienced rider who doesn't need cubic inches to compensate for 'small hands.' So I'm told. A nimble, decent-performing bike with a good lean angle, adequate suspension compliance is something he'll be glad to have for building up his confidence level. Any dirt biking in his background? If yes, that makes 'learning the street' a piece of cake.

IMO it's not the riding and handling the bike that is the most difficult.

It's riding on the road where learning how to react to all sorts of unpredictable events is key to surviving.
Possibly the most valuable lesson I learned was that the bike will go where you are looking.
Keep looking at the obstacle and you will hit it ; look to one side and you stand a good chance of missing it.

Hope your lad enjoys his ride and goes on to enjoy many years on two wheels.

When I started riding many moons ago, it took some time for me to instinctively operate the controls like they were an extension of my my mind and my body. At first I had to think what to do, and sometime I was briefly stricken with paralyzing panic.

So, when my son buys a bike, I will pray that the first year or two pass without incident.

Finally picked it up yesterday, he was working so he was unable to go with me. He’s on the afternoon shift so he gets home around midnight. I got up when he came home so we could go out in the garage and stare at it, lol. I had to start it at about 1am just because that’s was the responsible thing to do. Wife came out at that time and she was not happy. I don’t understand why. But me and my son each walked around it about 20 times like something was going to happen. I’m hoping to go up to the school parking lot with him today and get him some practice. I’m actually not as nervous about this as I thought I’d be. I’m actually impressed with this bike, rode it home 22 miles and it seems like an excellent first bike. Looking forward to this adventure.

Attachments

• 71011520173__DC7A2D27-E707-4C5D-AF4F-5225E11AA3AB.jpeg
    71011520173__DC7A2D27-E707-4C5D-AF4F-5225E11AA3AB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
That is a perfect first bike. Great choice. My first bike was a 1985 V-Max. Fortunately for me I was terrified of it and rode it very carefully for the first year. After that I was drag racing spinning the tire halfway down the track Or trying to keep the front end down 🤣

Hoove, it’s funny you say that cause he found a 1985 Vmax in our price range and wanted that to be his first bike. I had to veto it, I’ve had a couple 1st gens and I’m hoping he catches on quick so we can get him on a Vmax. I’d probably ride it more than him. Love the 1st Gen.

So the wife and I finally feel my son is mature enough to get a bike, it’s not a Vmax but I wouldn’t recommend that as a first bike anyway although that’s what he picked out at first, he wanted a 1st Gen. Maybe his 2nd bike will be a Vmax but right now let’s get something starter friendly. He picked out a sv650 Suzuki which after looking it up found it to be a great beginner bike, he found one at a dealership near by and we proceeded to purchase this bike which I know he overpaid but they are hard to come by in this area as I was told “bs” anyway go to pick it up and the salesman tells me there’s a slight problem, they realized it needed a new front tire so they installed one and at that time the teck broke the speedo pickup. Oh ok well how long is my question to which he replied the part will be in in two days and then they will install it immediately. Ya bout that, that was last Monday and come last Friday the part wasn’t delivered yet so he promises me it’ll be here tomorrow and I can pick up the bike then. The part is coming from California so it must be on a slow boat or something I don’t know but this poor kid has been waiting patiently where as I think I want him to have it more than he does. So tomorrow is the big day, allegedly. Im looking forward to teaching him the ropes and riding with him. Sorry it’s not a Vmax but we all started somewhere. Thanks for reading, just venting a little and impatiently waiting. Hopefully he will he will be safe and learn how riding is such a great experience. Wish him luck. We are going to have a new member in the future hopefully.
Congrats, I just bought a R3 for my daughter. She took and passed her motorcycle class and we've been doing drills in a parking lot. Went out for a short ride last night with her, first time for her on the road.

Congrats, I just bought a R3 for my daughter. She took and passed her motorcycle class and we've been doing drills in a parking lot. Went out for a short ride last night with her, first time for her on the road.
That’s awesome! He’s been out a few times on the road and he’s doing well I’m just so concerned about the distracted drivers . Got to the park and the one section has some nice twistys I’ve never dragged a peg but it’s fun to ride , still a good time.

Back