Need some guidance with best carb setup.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem, I'm going to mcgiver something that is better than stock.

Took the carb bank out tonight and removed the broken vavle cover bolt. Got new gaskets and bolt on order. I should have it by Friday. Hope to be done this weekend. Still haven't found my COPs. If I don't find them by this weekend, then I'll just have Blaxmax build me a set.

1985 Vmax Canadian version so it has the stock adjustable needles.

Everything is stock.

Well not exactly. The exhaust has been punched out to get a better sounding max.

I took the carbs off last winter and cleaned them all out. Every passage and jet was cleaned with seafoam and air blown threw to validate if it was clogged. Diaphram looks great (replaced them a few years ago). Setup float level the dry method. All jets are stock. Pilot screws set at 3 turns out and all look in good shape. The needle is set on the 2nd position from the blunt end (stock position).

I get a nice reliable idle and good starting. However, it seems to have poor acceleration across mid to high (from what I remember). When I say poor, I mean not as good as I would have expected from a Vmax. Better than any of the other cruiser guys I ride with. But, not close to what I recall it to be.

Airbox is in place with the Y in and the air filter removed. I try to keep my carbs sync'd all of the time. The front right cylinder's compression is a little lower than the rest. Might be due to ring or to a valve. Not too sure. But it still should run better.

The exhaust does smell very rich. I suspect that the float level is too low and perhaps something else. Going to check float level the wet way tonight. Hope I don't have to take carbs off again to adjust the float level or maybe I should be happy if that's all that's wrong.
I have an 85 American import with Canadian stock needles... what notch is factory?

I have an 85 American import with Canadian stock needles... what notch is factory?
Whichever one passed their testing during the setup of the bike (that is what the small bolts in the exhaust were for). I would start with the 2nd from the blunt end.

Whichever one passed their testing during the setup of the bike (that is what the small bolts in the exhaust were for). I would start with the 2nd from the blunt end.
I fitted a complete stock exhaust to my vmax a few weeks ago.... always wondered what them 2 bolts were for 😆 Thanks.

Back