NEED TIPS ON proper placement of faux tank logos

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iraqvet750

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having my tank cover repainted and want to ensure proper placement of the Yamaha logos. Here, they are improperly positioned; in addition to being rotated too far forward, they also appear to be placed too far back. If the middle "tuning fork" should be straight up and down (like 6 o'clock), what letter on the intake should it point to or align with? Thanks!

1000020694.jpg

I'm having my tank cover repainted and want to ensure proper placement of the Yamaha logos. Here, they are improperly positioned; in addition to being rotated too far forward, they also appear to be placed too far back. If the middle "tuning fork" should be straight up and down (like 6 o'clock), what letter on the intake should it point to or align with? Thanks!

View attachment 93255
Yea, I used the line on the faux running parallel to the speedo housing and a string dimension back from the forward faux radius along the speedo housing.
Set the tuning fork at 6:00.IMG_20190714_125941782_HDR.jpg

That nice big poster on your garage wall might be helpful for reference.
Ah, I see you have "KSO", or a "keen sense of the obvious." I checked that poster first and foremost, but there the logos look too far forward and it doesn't jibe with the factory placement on the other '85's I've seen, so I'm guessing it's a shot of a prototype. (If you look at the poster you'll also see the tires don't match, so I'm not treating that as Gospel.)

Seems the "sweet spot" is for the center fork to point straight down at the right edge of the letter "Y". Thanks!
That nice big poster on your garage wall might be helpful for reference.

This is completely incorrect:
1711037082964.png

First, the logo is rotated to the right and it shouldn't be. It should be straight up and down. Second, it's too far towards the rear of the bike.

If you looked at the picture on your wall, you would see that the fork is straight up and down and that the left side of the circle is aligned with the Y on the scoop.

That is not a "prototype'. That is how every logo on every gen 1 Vmax ever made was placed. Here is my 2007 that is exactly the same as the picture.

20240321_120219.jpg

Hey, if you want the proper positioning, look on the Yamaha website for pics of a gen 1 and get it as-close as you can. You could use some double-sided tape and try different (temporary) positions, stepping back to critique the appearance. When you find what you're looking for, take a few pics on each side to be able to replicate the position. Then use whatever device you want to hold it in-place. If you're replacing an already-used tuning fork pair, I think foam double-sided tape would do a good job, trimmed to fit the backside with nothing sticking out.

The other thing is to do it as you like it. It's your bike, put it where you want.

1711040113009.png

1711040465857.png

This has the dealer-installed OEM striping.

1711040883887.png

An '85 from BaT (above).

1711041272322.png

This red one is also BaT listed. They have a pro photographer take pics for their auction sales.

1711041375830.png

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-yamaha-v-max/

Last edited:
Hey, if you want the proper positioning, look on the Yamaha website for pics of a gen 1 and get it as-close as you can. You could use some double-sided tape and try different (temporary) positions, stepping back to critique the appearance. When you find what you're looking for, take a few pics on each side to be able to replicate the position. Then use whatever device you want to hold it in-place. If you're replacing an already-used tuning fork pair, I think foam double-sided tape would do a good job, trimmed to fit the backside with nothing sticking out.

The other thing is to do it as you like it. It's your bike, put it where you want.

View attachment 93262

View attachment 93263

View attachment 93264

An '85 from BaT (above).

View attachment 93265

This red one is also BaT listed. They have a pro photographer take pics for their auction sales.

View attachment 93266

View attachment 93262

View attachment 93263

View attachment 93264

An '85 from BaT (above).

View attachment 93265

View attachment 93266

Thanks, this is a huge help. The consensus seems to be that the middle fork should align with the edge of the "H" on the port side, and the "Y" on starboard. And obviously, straight up and down. Some of them show it a bit differently, like the red one from BaT (above), but hey, at least it's on straight.

I had my cover repainted last week and had the painter apply the logos. He swears he put them in the exact same spot as the originals, and isn't taking any responsibility for their placement. (Before/after photos indicate otherwise, so I beg to differ.) So I'm having the logos removed and the cover repainted (again) at my own expense. That's why I'm seeking input from those with experience, versus just looking at old ad copy. My goal is to get it back to the stock appearance, and your tips on application and "preview" are extremely helpful. Thanks again.

This is completely incorrect:
View attachment 93259

First, the logo is rotated to the right and it shouldn't be. It should be straight up and down. Second, it's too far towards the rear of the bike.

If you looked at the picture on your wall, you would see that the fork is straight up and down and that the left side of the circle is aligned with the Y on the scoop.

That is not a "prototype'. That is how every logo on every gen 1 Vmax ever made was placed. Here is my 2007 that is exactly the same as the picture.

View attachment 93260
Please allow me to clarify, as I've omitted a crucial piece of information. I'm again, looking at the picture on my wall, which I've zoomed in on to show that the logo is rotated to point to around 12:30/6:30. That's why I found it to be questionable as a reference, since I've never seen that anywhere else. However, the circle's edge is aligned with the "Y", like you mentioned, so that is helpful. Seems the "correct" placement has it aligned with the lettering -- only straight up and down, without the clockwise rotation, as shown. Thanks again.20240321_185702.jpg20240321_185650.jpg

Back