Newly Acquired 1986 V-Max...My First...I have questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My calipers won't work. They're from my 01. Different forks. Talk to Sean or kyle, though. They've always got parts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

well...I've been touring these forums for a while now and have seen that even changing the battery in these things is a horrid nightmare. I can see this thing is like a boat...a boat is a hole in the water into which you constantly pour money.

Tragically for me, now that I've ridden this bitch, I'd rather just not ride if I can't ride A V-Max. Perhaps not this V-Max (I think it needs too much work...new brakes and rotors all around, a tuneup and valve adjustment, carbs rebuilt...new tach, new front fender (broken) new seat, forward controls (my legs cramp) new handlebars (need the buckhorn downturn or my arms go numb) But nevertheless...a V-Max or nothing.

Damn this thing.

And you people aren't helping me walk away either. Someone has already offered to ride in from out of state to inspect my bike and listen to it to see if it is abnormally loud or if it's normal! I can't believe such a generous offer from someone who has no idea who I am.

And I'd probably do the same thing myself.

You guys really seem dedicated to these bikes and I now understand why and I love that too.

I guess I'm gonna end up in a V-Max club. I'm sure there's one in the Dallas area.

Damn...my wallet is toast.

Thanks for your advice. I'm hooked

LOL...these things are a powerful hook, and a good portion of the time, people will send you parts just for the cost of shipping only. It will take time, and money....but in the end...you will have something that is yours, no one else's...and be the envy of others...

Thanks to Chopcor for some parts I really need.

This is amazing. The Bike is great but the community here is totally unbelievable.

To keep you up to date, I've been riding it daily after changing the oil and it's running a lot smoother now and shifting a lot better.

Finding neutral for me requires putting it in first and running the engine a bit fast, then it pops right into neutral. My first tank of gas netted 30mpg, but it's up to 35 now and after reading more on the fourms, I'm running regular gas. I ride about 75 miles a day to and from work.

Have not put the Rottella in yet but will soon. had to order some fram oil filters from amazon.

I would avoid Fram filters. I use OEM filters purchased on eBay or online stores by searching the actual part number. The correct filter is used by many Yamaha products including boat motors. Many boat stores sell them at a reduced price. Just my :twocents:

Oops, just noticed you have the cartridge filter, not the spin on. Don't know if the OEM cartridge filter is available at other sources but a search on the part number will tell. I still don't recommend Fram filters, only OEM. Do a search on Fram filter problems.

Last edited:
Thanks to Chopcor for some parts I really need.

This is amazing. The Bike is great but the community here is totally unbelievable.

To keep you up to date, I've been riding it daily after changing the oil and it's running a lot smoother now and shifting a lot better.

Finding neutral for me requires putting it in first and running the engine a bit fast, then it pops right into neutral. My first tank of gas netted 30mpg, but it's up to 35 now and after reading more on the fourms, I'm running regular gas. I ride about 75 miles a day to and from work.

Have not put the Rottella in yet but will soon. had to order some fram oil filters from amazon.

I would try Oreily's for oil filters.

I use the WIX filter from O'Reilly. They have an appropriate part number in their book behind the counter.

One thing on the oils that you guys are using... are the designed for motorcycles? If it doesn't say it's for bikes then stop using it ASAP! Oils are way different today, than back in the day, the additives in the oils not made for bikes will attack and destroy the clutch material. I worked in the autoparts business for 18 years and had to know my oils. I had bikers come in asking for oil, these oils have changed drastically over the past 10 years. Again I can't stress enough... if it doesn't say designed for motorcycles with "Wet" clutches, DON'T USE IT!

You guys really seem dedicated to these bikes and I now understand why and I love that too.

I guess I'm gonna end up in a V-Max club. I'm sure there's one in the Dallas area.

Damn...my wallet is toast.

Thanks for your advice. I'm hooked

YOU CANT GET AWAY FROM US LOL.... MUA HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! welcome to the fray!

peace,
evan...

Back