Restoring '85 VMax in Dark Amethyst -- keep or change to Deep Scarlet paint?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iraqvet750

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I'm brand new to the group -- thanks for the add. I have a restored '86 Fazer, and finally got its bigger brother, an '85 VMax.

My goal with the Max is to restore it to original condition, sell it to another collector, and then get a '93 or newer with its updated features. I'd be thrilled to break even or take a modest loss on the '85, just for the joy of restoring it, and for the absolute privilege of owning and riding an important piece of motorcycle history.

The '85 has original everything, down to the exhaust, rims, turn signals, and (rare) Dark Amethyst paint. I plan to spend the next several months working on the aluminum parts, large and small. Everything else is in good condition.

So here's my question. The original paint's condition (on all three pieces) is, on balance, 7/10. It is the rare Dark Amethyst (more like Deep Purple), but is unique. I'm considering changing it to the more common Deep Scarlet. Is there a paint code or a VIN character that would flag this as unoriginal? If so, I'm considering these courses of action:

1. Buy used plastic, paint Deep Scarlet, keep Dark Amethyst off to the side to include in sale/auction (most expensive COA).

2. Paint existing plastic Deep Scarlet (less expensive, but unoriginal).

3. Repaint existing plastic Dark Amethyst (least expensive, least desirable, yet maintains originality).

I think the Dark Amethyst looks great, and I like that it's unique. However, most folks associate the original Max's with the Deep Scarlet color that's been ubiquitous in ad copy, on TV, in the museums, and on the road. Therefore, I think I'd get a better response with it the more traditionally-known red versus blue.

What do you think? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, brothers!

It depends on who you see as the eventual purchaser; if it is someone who is looking for originality then do the bare minimum which may well include leaving the patina that has built up over the years.
If concourse then then you are probably talking significant money yo get there and IMO unlikely to turn a profit.
If you think Deep Scarlet will sell for more and you can recover your costs then go that route.

I would give the bike a clean within an inch of it;s life which will mainly cost time, cleaning cloths and polish. Any painting will need to be toned down so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
When you have done that pray to your favourite deity that Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms or Mx (sorry if I've missed any 'them' out) see your ads and are happy to part with their wonga.

If the paint isn’t full of dings chips and dents, but just badly faded or hazed, I have had good luck with the 2 part clear coat you can buy in a spray bomb. A very light wet sand with super fine and then the clear coat.

It depends on who you see as the eventual purchaser; if it is someone who is looking for originality then do the bare minimum which may well include leaving the patina that has built up over the years.
If concourse then then you are probably talking significant money yo get there and IMO unlikely to turn a profit.
If you think Deep Scarlet will sell for more and you can recover your costs then go that route.

I would give the bike a clean within an inch of it;s life which will mainly cost time, cleaning cloths and polish. Any painting will need to be toned down so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
When you have done that pray to your favourite deity that Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms or Mx (sorry if I've missed any 'them' out) see your ads and are happy to part with their wonga.
Thanks, I will keep the original plastic Dark Amethyst, and perhaps not do any more (as far as the plastic's concerned). The Dark Amethyst is actually in pretty good shape, with some minor flaws: Both fenders have light blue pinstriping, and the tank has a black spot around 2" round where it appears that brake fluid dripped on it from the master cylinder. I'm not sure I can remove the pinstriping without leaving "shadows" behind. However, if the pinstriping is factory (which I doubt), I'll gladly keep it.

I plan to dismantle the bike, field strip it (like an M16), clean and polish it, and reassemble over the next ten months. I've had good results doing this in the past, and your point about the "patina" vs. bright, fresh paint is well-taken.

If I can locate a set of used plastics in red (or a paintable set that's affordable), I may get Max a different uniform to wear from time to time. Looks like I could swap plastics out in an hour or less.

Attachments

• vmax tank cover.jpg
    vmax tank cover.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
  • vmax rear fender.jpg
    vmax rear fender.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
  • vmax front fender.jpg
    vmax front fender.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks,
If the paint isn’t full of dings chips and dents, but just badly faded or hazed, I have had good luck with the 2 part clear coat you can buy in a spray bomb. A very light wet sand with super fine and then the clear coat.
Thanks, I may try the wet sand after I figure out what to do with the pinstriping. Paint's actually in pretty good shape, and I wish the fork tubes on my Fazer were this clean.

Back