Ring Nut Wrench Yu–33975 Purchase, Rent, Borrow

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F 18 Driver

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm getting an unusual bang in the front forks when they become fully extended over bumps…

I've come to the conclusion that steering ring nut is the root of the problem and needs to be tightened and torque to the proper specifications

The service manual calls for 36 foot-pounds of torque to be applied.

I've checked eBay. I can't seem to find anybody offering the specified tool outside of Istanbul, Turkey…

Therefore, can someone kindly direct me to where I may purchase, rent or borrow the ring nut wrench yu–33975.

Yes, I've read all the posts on the board concerning ring nut tightening without the required tool (I would only consider this alternative as a necessity and the unavailability of the tool)…

I have been trained to respect the engineers… If they indicate 36 foot-pounds of torque is to be applied… I'd like to respect their training and education and do exactly as indicated (especially since this is a control surface).

In conclusion, I can't imagine necessity for this tool more than once or twice in the lifetime of the machine.

Thus, if I am able to purchased the tool I'm willing offer it at no cost to anybody on the board who may need properly torque steering ring bolt (just send me the postage label)

Thank you for your time and consideration.

F-18 driver

Last edited:
I am the same as you, I like everything to be to specification and by the book. Trouble is that 36 ftlbs for Vmax head bearings does not work in the real world - for me anyway. I found that the way to adjust the (new) head bearings on my totally rebuilt bike was to just carefully use a hammer with a punch that does not damage the nut to tighten the bearings to the point that the low speed (15 - 20mph) wobble when you remove your hands from the bars is eliminated. What torque is that? I don't know. It is more than 36 ftlbs and the wobble has disappeared. All other aspects of the bike's handling are fine. (Mind you I have ridden an XS1100 for 45 years so what bike wouldn't be fine!)

You may want to find my youtube video showing the way we suggest setting the tension on the steering head bearings.

Back