Stuck slide

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobcharge

Reaction score
So i recently picked up a 500 usd 92.. It needs a lot of work..
Has not run for 5 years.

 Anyway, I put some gas in it, 3 carbs had stuck floats so there was gas everywhere in no time.. but finally got it to fire up and run on 3 cylinders.. progress. Ha.
now to my question, first two slides where stuck in closed position, one loosened after the bike started, the other one is stuck. Why? Sorry for the stupid question

Sounds like gas was left stored in its carbs' float bowls & gas tank at time of last use. If you don't see shiny metal in the gas tank, especially the bottom you need to clean it. Plenty of threads on here about doing that.

Carburetors need disassembly & cleaning too. Ultrasonic cleaning I find works best.

Not doing both of these is likely an enduring exercise in frustration.

Use the search function.

Forget the 'shotgun' or 'peashooter' carb maintenance. You need to remove the jet blocks & the brass jets inside, to clean things thoughly. The pilot jets are all probably plugged solid. Rust from the gas tank will just re-plug the pilot jets (& elsewhere) if you don't clean the gas tank if it's rusted.

The molded rubber T gas line in the carburetors rack should be replaced as in a 31 year old bike it will probably break when trying to remove it. Look at Ron Ayres Yamaha online for parts fiche & ordering.

Last edited:
Thank you! I spent 3 hours reading threads AFTER i posted, i have at least some idea what I'm up against.

Tank was actually emptied and coated in oil so it looks new..

I'm sure the carbs didn't get the same loving treatment so they're coming out today, already got all new fuel lines from work, have carb kits on its way etc.

On the good side, it has good compression etc.

I'm sure I'll have more question.

Thank you

Oops, newbie misstanke. Sorry.
Now i have the problem that the pump shuts off and don't seem to fill the bowls. Even if i hotwire the pump so it pumps freely into a cup it still won't fill any of the bowls when reconnected...

Crap blocking the hoses? Or the metal gas tubing at the carburetors?

Back