Touring modifications

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
Over the winter I completed a few mods to make the "traveling" version of Frankenmax a bit more user friendly. Got to try them out for size today!

It's a tossup as to the most useful alteration, between the driver footpeg relocation( moved 2" ahead, 1" down, shift and brake pedals lengthened to match), and the new vented/adjustable windshield on the larger fairing (to replace the original modified Slipstreamer, an unfortunate victim of a workshop accident)
The relocated pegs make the bike soooo much more comfortable, both when under way and at stops. My legs are not nearly as cramped as before (my inseam is only 30", but I had previously lowered the seat about 1 1/2")
And when at stops - no more banging the shins, and no more concern about getting a pantcuff caught on the footpeg, when extending your leg down. This only happened to me once, years ago, but it's a lesson not soon forgotten!
I did some research before making the new windshield. Popular opinion has it that most noise is caused by a low-pressure zone being formed behind a
solid windshield, which consequently brings in air currents which buffet the area around the rider's head and chest. So a vented windshield allows the pressure to equalize on both sides of the shield, drastically reducing noise.
I found today that with the shield in it's lowest position and most narrow angle(close to the fairing), I could see over the top , which is what I prefer when around town. Still, there was a whistling sound around the helmet.
But by increasing the angle just a few degrees, the helmet noise disappeared completely!
And on the highway - raising the shield to maximum and maxing out the angle (now looking thru the plexiglass) I could hear the stereo clear, without maxing out the volume!
Other mods are a GPS unit that slides back into the tank bag when not in use (no more need to disconnect from a bracket and the power source, and store elsewhere)
A driver backrest/hidden storage compartment, which is a supplement to one previously installed. Great place to keep cameras and other valuables (a "secret" latch must be triggered to open it) The backrest is very comfortable, especially with my feet on the forward footrests fastened to the engine guards.
And a new light bar up front. I already had a blacked out version , but I couldn't pass up dual 4"stainless steel housings with 55 watt H3 bulbs for $14.99 at Princess Auto! All I had to add were the eyelids, fabbed for another set years ago.
Also put 1157 bulbs behind the reflectors on either side of the VMax logo.
The low wattage element mates with the LED clearance light circuit, the higher watts are emergency flashers, which mate with flashers in one of the taillights.
I think the touring version of the bike is now complete. It will never be a Wing or a Venture, but functions quite nicely for getting me where I want to go. The 6 liter aux gas tank and the Venture final drive give it a good range between stops (300+ km) and decent gas mileage.
And it only takes a few hours to return the bike to the "street" version....smaller fairing, no sound, no crash bars, no bags or seat storage, No trunk assembly, smaller aux. gas tank, and a passenger backrest unit. Also about 80 pounds lighter!
Bring on the next road trip!

Attachments

• Relocated pegs, forward footrests.jpg
    Relocated pegs, forward footrests.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Windshield (lowest position).jpg
    Windshield (lowest position).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Raised windshield.jpg
    Raised windshield.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Backrest and hidden storage compartment.jpg
    Backrest and hidden storage compartment.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Storage for valuables.jpg
    Storage for valuables.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Integrated GPS.jpg
    Integrated GPS.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Light bar.jpg
    Light bar.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 207
Awesome Miles! That is some thick windshield material, nice job on forming it to a effective and good looking shape! But did you remember to put a oil cap retainer wire on? :biglaugh:
You know you are always welcome here anytime!

Awesome Miles! That is some thick windshield material, nice job on forming it to a effective and good looking shape! But did you remember to put a oil cap retainer wire on? :biglaugh:
You know you are always welcome here anytime!

Dang, Brian! I KNEW there was something else I wanted to do!
Did just finish ordering some K&N filters...the ones with the nuts....should make oil changes easier.
I'm thinking of heading down to Arkansas in June, then out west again if things are going well. If so, I'll have to come back someway - maybe via Yooperland???!!! Itching to lend a hand on that garage construction!

Mr.Eagins, T.Hawk, Redbone - thanks for the kind words. My obsession is alive and well.
Cheers!

Very well done. It looks like a professional install to me and should make that long trip to AR quite comfortable for you. I wish I could pull off such a feat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Great Job on your cross country/cross continent Max and from some of your other threads, I know you put the miles (km's) on it.

Over the winter I completed a few mods to make the "traveling" version of Frankenmax a bit more user friendly. Got to try them out for size today!

It's a tossup as to the most useful alteration, between the driver footpeg relocation( moved 2" ahead, 1" down, shift and brake pedals lengthened to match), and the new vented/adjustable windshield on the larger fairing (to replace the original modified Slipstreamer, an unfortunate victim of a workshop accident)
The relocated pegs make the bike soooo much more comfortable, both when under way and at stops. My legs are not nearly as cramped as before (my inseam is only 30", but I had previously lowered the seat about 1 1/2")
And when at stops - no more banging the shins, and no more concern about getting a pantcuff caught on the footpeg, when extending your leg down. This only happened to me once, years ago, but it's a lesson not soon forgotten!
I did some research before making the new windshield. Popular opinion has it that most noise is caused by a low-pressure zone being formed behind a
solid windshield, which consequently brings in air currents which buffet the area around the rider's head and chest. So a vented windshield allows the pressure to equalize on both sides of the shield, drastically reducing noise.
I found today that with the shield in it's lowest position and most narrow angle(close to the fairing), I could see over the top , which is what I prefer when around town. Still, there was a whistling sound around the helmet.
But by increasing the angle just a few degrees, the helmet noise disappeared completely!
And on the highway - raising the shield to maximum and maxing out the angle (now looking thru the plexiglass) I could hear the stereo clear, without maxing out the volume!
Other mods are a GPS unit that slides back into the tank bag when not in use (no more need to disconnect from a bracket and the power source, and store elsewhere)
A driver backrest/hidden storage compartment, which is a supplement to one previously installed. Great place to keep cameras and other valuables (a "secret" latch must be triggered to open it) The backrest is very comfortable, especially with my feet on the forward footrests fastened to the engine guards.
And a new light bar up front. I already had a blacked out version , but I couldn't pass up dual 4"stainless steel housings with 55 watt H3 bulbs for $14.99 at Princess Auto! All I had to add were the eyelids, fabbed for another set years ago.
Also put 1157 bulbs behind the reflectors on either side of the VMax logo.
The low wattage element mates with the LED clearance light circuit, the higher watts are emergency flashers, which mate with flashers in one of the taillights.
I think the touring version of the bike is now complete. It will never be a Wing or a Venture, but functions quite nicely for getting me where I want to go. The 6 liter aux gas tank and the Venture final drive give it a good range between stops (300+ km) and decent gas mileage.
And it only takes a few hours to return the bike to the "street" version....smaller fairing, no sound, no crash bars, no bags or seat storage, No trunk assembly, smaller aux. gas tank, and a passenger backrest unit. Also about 80 pounds lighter!
Bring on the next road trip!

Looking good Miles! Now give us a wide angle shot so we can put all the pieces together!

Looking good Miles! Now give us a wide angle shot so we can put all the pieces together!

Thanks, Dave.
I'll send you a pic of a fully loaded bike, when I'm ready to head out.
Today, think I'll do the job I dread the most - the bike's annual cleaning/polishing. So boring.
Cheers!

Very interesting work. I would like to see more of what you did with the current fairing, and how it is mounted.

I myself would love to build up a touring V-max. While it could easily be done with the Venture, I find the V-max to be a VERY comfortable bike for me. (I even love the stock seat)

Hmmm with all those mods, Miles, wouldn't it been easier to get a Venture instead??
Ya, Frank...in retrospect...I shouda bought a touring bike....but then I wouldn't have had all that power....and then I wouldn't have joined this website....and met alll...youuu...gre..at...peop..le.....I'm star tting... to breeeak ... up ... here......:confused2:

I GOTTA RUN! I'M CRYIN' MY EYES OUT!
THANKS A FUCKIN' LOT, FRANK!

Back