trans popping out of 3rd gear on upshift at times

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssvmax

Reaction score
I have a 90 v-max with 40,000 miles it will sometimes pop out of 3rd on upshifts but not as often on downshifts. Major problem or something I can fix from the bottom? no grinding or abnormal noises at this time. any help out there? Or complete teardown?

I have a 90 v-max with 40,000 miles it will sometimes pop out of 3rd on upshifts but not as often on downshifts. Major problem or something I can fix from the bottom? no grinding or abnormal noises at this time. any help out there? Or complete teardown?

Bet fork and/or rounded dogs. Usually happens to second though. Someone may have tried down shifting without using the clutch which messes up forks pretty good.

Complete teardown? Nah... But you will have to remove the motor from the frame and split the cases...

Bet fork and/or rounded dogs. Usually happens to second though. Someone may have tried down shifting without using the clutch which messes up forks pretty good.

Complete teardown? Nah... But you will have to remove the motor from the frame and split the cases...

+1 to what 4gasem says - but I would first check the shift drum shifter pin assembly (part# 6-7-8) the pin retainer can bend and cause a loose pin which can cause a miss shift - the newer models have been upgraded. On my 96 model, I had the second gear pin fall out and therefore I could not shift past 1st gear.

It is fairly easy to check - the clutch cover and clutch basket needs to be removed to see this shifter merchanism - hopefully that's all it is.

Mike

Attachments

• partimage.gif
    partimage.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
It is fearly easy to check - the clutch cover and clutch basket needs to be removed to see this shifter merchanism - hopefully that's all it is.

Mike

But don't FEAR it because it is FAIRLY easy to do...:whistlin:

:clapping::clapping:

:biglaugh:

Its real easy if you use an air impact gun to break loose the clutch basket nut.You do not even need to hold the basket with anything.

Latest posts

Back