Valve adjustment - when?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StanVM2007

Reaction score
So, got my 2007 Vmax in 2016 with 26k km on it. Now hitting 50k km in 2023. Runs good but not as good as it used to. The only thing is it takes a bit longer to have the smoothness, which is until fully warmed up. And it takes a bit longer to reach stable idle at 1000 rpms after cold start. After that all is good. I think the carbs deserve a full service, the first one, finally. But I am also thinking that its about time to check valve clearances. I was not in a hurry hearing in the past from different sources that there is no need to do that sooner. So now, that I am at the 50k mark, I'd like to hear from the experienced. Is this a good time to open up the beast?

Well, I just better just get to it. I can't fine a walk through in the 'how to guides' on the forum and greater search doesn't lead to anything substantial either. I'm confused watchin Seans video, why the camchain is loose etc. I'm used to simply removing the cover on other bikes and do adjustment while rotating the engine. Is there anywhere a more straight forward out there?

The procedure is documented well in the service manual and Clymer. Damon F. also has an engine rebuild DVD and he goes through it there too.

Here's a how-to on this site I just found: HOW TO: adjust your valves clearances pt2

Great! Thank you. I have a copy of the manual. But again, as with some other things done on bikes, there are sometimes better easier ways of doing things based on years of practice. In other words, 'by the book' is not always the best.

That link to 'how to' is great. Thank you. It should be pinned somewhere to find it easy, like in some other forums. Goldwings have a whole section dedicated to step by step procedures, and very detailed at it. Always wondered why there's nothing like that here..

Back