• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Motorycle For Sale "Vmax Adjacent" Unicorn- 2006 Yamaha MT-01

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
So, if you haven't heard of this bike, that's not too surprising. It was never sold in the US, this one was imported from Canada. It was sold in Canada, a handful of European countries, and Japan only for it's relatively brief production run. This one is VIN #00077 for the year, and from what I could find Yamaha only made 1-2 thousand of these each year. Even browsing Canadian classifieds, these don't come up often.

This one came into the US (Ohio) by a US Army serviceman who was stationed in Canada and purchased this bike while there. The explanation I got was there is an exemption for servicemen that can import foreign vehicles- and title them- despite not being FMVSS approved or 25+ years old for the antique exemption if purchased on a deployment. I purchased this bike with an Ohio title, and it currently has a clean blue TX title in my name. I have never seen another MT01 in the US with a title and getting one would be more or less impossible until ~2031 or so. I had no problem adding the VIN to my progressive insurance- it just comes up as a "yamaha- other".

This was Yamaha's answer to Buell. It's their 1700cc v-twin, but it's not just the Warrior cruiser engine. Same bore and stroke, but otherwise, not too many parts interchange. It has a higher redline (5500 vs 5000), lighter crank and flywheel, more compression (although it still only spec's regular gas), and makes about 10hp more (low 90's at the wheel from what I could find). It also has a chain instead of belt drive, and it's on the opposite side as usual, on the right. As you'd expect, torque for days. Effortless roll-on power from 1500rpm on up. It's a muscle car, more than a supercar.

It runs flawlessly, everything works as intended, and is in overall excellent condition. Currently showing about 11,500 miles. The metallic blue/white stripe paint job is beautiful (not original, prior owner had it done- it's absolutely professional quality, not some rattle can job). Apparently the original color was a dull gray/silver. It has a few other cosmetic add-ons, including the color matched front fairing pictured, handguards w/aux lights, bar end mirrors (the factory mirrors were useless), a small rear luggage rack, and an integrated rear taillight. It also has Dominator slip-on mufflers, I have the OEM mufflers as well. They're honestly a bit loud for my taste, but YMMV. I also have a matching tail fairing (also painted to match) that came as a pair with the front one, but it's not compatible with the luggage rack and I found that more useful. New Yuasa battery a couple months ago. K&N air filter (stock airbox, drop-in replacement). Prior owner installed a SW-Motech center stand. The tires are about 50%. All lighting LED with the correct flasher relay. I also have a Barnett clutch for it new in box (from prior owner). People complain about clutch slippage online about this bike a lot, although I've never noticed any issue with this one so never felt compelled to install it. I don't have original papers, but both the owners and service manuals are readily available as .pdf documents online. I have both keys- this has "chipped" keys for the immobilizer system (Euro thing). The red key is the master/programming key, the black key is a normal one. If you have the red key, you can program additional keys through a sequence on the bike after getting the blank physically cut, no dealer needed.

I've owned this bike for a little over a year. I've really enjoyed it, and glad I got a chance to own and ride a bike that's essentially unobtanium for Americans. It's a very unique experience- the riding posture and cornering of a sport-naked- but with big bore v-twin power. I've ridden Buell's, this has a lot more grunt to it (although it is 500cc larger). Keep in mind this is a bike from 2006- so it has fuel injection, but that's it. No ABS, no traction control, no other electronics. Being this is my secondary bike, my eyes have started to wander and feel like it's time to let someone else enjoy this extremely unique beast.

Gauging value is a little hard since there's not much to compare it to, but I think I'll test the waters at $7500. Fairly firm there for now, in no rush to sell. I'm located in Jonestown TX, about 45 min NW of Austin.

Any questions just shoot me a PM.IMG_9810.JPGIMG_9811.JPGPXL_20221027_225615712.jpgIMG_9815.JPG

Glad to see you're still around and enjoying riding the crossed tuning fork brand.

That looks like something someone's gonna enjoy, and they will never see themselves across the intersection as-long as they stay-out of the Provinces.

The reasoning behind this bike reminds me of the 920cc Yamaha Virago V-twin, air-cooled, w/the enclosed chain drive instead of the shaft drive. I had the XV-920 shaft drive, w/the LCD rectangular instruments panel.

From the side of the bike, the model name plate reminds me of the Husqvarna Svartpilen badging. See the '401' badging below. They had an even-more 'distinct' gas tank/emblem shape, which I find curious, in the first models. Thankfully the Yamaha V-twin design you own is more tasteful.

1699311039266.png

Another bike that the lower-front left of the Yamaha reminds me of, is the Norton rotary-engine Commander. That horizontal ball-milled panel in the left-hand view of your bike at the front of the engine case carries some of the mass and the shape of the Norton, though the Commander has a more-fine pitch to its rotary cooling fins. The Benelli Barracuda and the H-D Sprint had some similar shapes.

1699311740243.png
1699313008564.png
1699313100402.png

I always thought this was a more aesthetically-appealing design than the Suzuki rotary engine bike.

1699311928465.png1699312004481.png

Note the instrument panel shape, and that of the taillamp. This was one of Giorgetti Giugiaro's less-attractive designs. The market thought so too, as it was redesigned the next year, and then discontinued. You think a VMax CV carburetor is difficult to wrench upon, try looking at the exploded diagram for the RE-5 Suzuki!

Good luck with the re-sale, maybe try contacting Barber Museum, they like the less-common bikes.

You have a picture of that VIN? It's usually customary to start the numbers with 000101 as the first production bike (not number 000001).

So your upper leg/butt is right on the muffler, nice.

So your upper leg/butt is right on the muffler, nice.

Not really. The black "muffler" is just a shell, part of the tail. The actual mufflers are inside there with a decent air gap, as well as a fan on a thermostat that forces cool air around the muffler and the shell if you're in traffic for a while. The black part stays cool to the touch. It's a non issue.

Ducati could learn a thing or two about in-tail exhausts from this bike.

Well, isn't that interesting the VIN sequence originating at 0001!

That is a densely-packaged motorcycle. Jay Leno used to say, "I like a bike you can see-through from the side." I think he was referring to something like this.

1699475930837.png

An interesting story on the bike, the frame was made by Yetman, which was a serious 'go-fast' part back in the 1960's. That was a part I lusted-after back when they still published Cycle magazine. Back then, they had a series of small ad space advertisements and the Yetman was one to draw my attention whenever I saw it.

Compare the stock CB 77 (305 Superhawk) frame to the Yetman frame, above.

1699476586795.png

1699476238922.png

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/...les/1963-honda-cb77-super-hawk-zm0z23mazawar/
What do you think the weight of a stock CB77 frame is, compared to the Yetman?

I have a CB 77 awaiting its restoration, no Yetman frame though.

Thanks for the pic. It's unusual for Yamaha to use any number less then the conventional 101 for any bike destined to make it to the general public.

So, if you haven't heard of this bike, that's not too surprising. It was never sold in the US, this one was imported from Canada. It was sold in Canada, a handful of European countries, and Japan only for it's relatively brief production run. This one is VIN #00077 for the year, and from what I could find Yamaha only made 1-2 thousand of these each year. Even browsing Canadian classifieds, these don't come up often.

This one came into the US (Ohio) by a US Army serviceman who was stationed in Canada and purchased this bike while there. The explanation I got was there is an exemption for servicemen that can import foreign vehicles- and title them- despite not being FMVSS approved or 25+ years old for the antique exemption if purchased on a deployment. I purchased this bike with an Ohio title, and it currently has a clean blue TX title in my name. I have never seen another MT01 in the US with a title and getting one would be more or less impossible until ~2031 or so. I had no problem adding the VIN to my progressive insurance- it just comes up as a "yamaha- other".

This was Yamaha's answer to Buell. It's their 1700cc v-twin, but it's not just the Warrior cruiser engine. Same bore and stroke, but otherwise, not too many parts interchange. It has a higher redline (5500 vs 5000), lighter crank and flywheel, more compression (although it still only spec's regular gas), and makes about 10hp more (low 90's at the wheel from what I could find). It also has a chain instead of belt drive, and it's on the opposite side as usual, on the right. As you'd expect, torque for days. Effortless roll-on power from 1500rpm on up. It's a muscle car, more than a supercar.

It runs flawlessly, everything works as intended, and is in overall excellent condition. Currently showing about 11,500 miles. The metallic blue/white stripe paint job is beautiful (not original, prior owner had it done- it's absolutely professional quality, not some rattle can job). Apparently the original color was a dull gray/silver. It has a few other cosmetic add-ons, including the color matched front fairing pictured, handguards w/aux lights, bar end mirrors (the factory mirrors were useless), a small rear luggage rack, and an integrated rear taillight. It also has Dominator slip-on mufflers, I have the OEM mufflers as well. They're honestly a bit loud for my taste, but YMMV. I also have a matching tail fairing (also painted to match) that came as a pair with the front one, but it's not compatible with the luggage rack and I found that more useful. New Yuasa battery a couple months ago. K&N air filter (stock airbox, drop-in replacement). Prior owner installed a SW-Motech center stand. The tires are about 50%. All lighting LED with the correct flasher relay. I also have a Barnett clutch for it new in box (from prior owner). People complain about clutch slippage online about this bike a lot, although I've never noticed any issue with this one so never felt compelled to install it. I don't have original papers, but both the owners and service manuals are readily available as .pdf documents online. I have both keys- this has "chipped" keys for the immobilizer system (Euro thing). The red key is the master/programming key, the black key is a normal one. If you have the red key, you can program additional keys through a sequence on the bike after getting the blank physically cut, no dealer needed.

I've owned this bike for a little over a year. I've really enjoyed it, and glad I got a chance to own and ride a bike that's essentially unobtanium for Americans. It's a very unique experience- the riding posture and cornering of a sport-naked- but with big bore v-twin power. I've ridden Buell's, this has a lot more grunt to it (although it is 500cc larger). Keep in mind this is a bike from 2006- so it has fuel injection, but that's it. No ABS, no traction control, no other electronics. Being this is my secondary bike, my eyes have started to wander and feel like it's time to let someone else enjoy this extremely unique beast.

Gauging value is a little hard since there's not much to compare it to, but I think I'll test the waters at $7500. Fairly firm there for now, in no rush to sell. I'm located in Jonestown TX, about 45 min NW of Austin.

Any questions just shoot me a PM.View attachment 91776View attachment 91777View attachment 91778View attachment 91779
That is gorgeous! I've never seen that color scheme before! I've drooled over these since they came out but have never had the opportunity to acquire one!

That is gorgeous! I've never seen that color scheme before! I've drooled over these since they came out but have never had the opportunity to acquire one!
Our member CaptainKyle has done many paint schemes like that for people.

RaWarrior, glad to see you sold it. I use your 'new VMax owners' thread to acquaint new members here with info on their new to-them bikes.

Back