Would you buy this? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 93713

Anyone familiar with where to connect into the Gen 2 VMAX with trailer pig tail to speed this along with my limited time to leave I don’t wanna fuck it up but currently taking her apart

View attachment 93714

Call me at +17577884555 or I have discord and other means of chat and we can BS our way through this…

First time taking her apart and don’t want to fuck it up rushing cause I gotta leave with trailer in 2 days
I'd just make a quick disconnect for the trailer gonna need to splice into the turn signal wires and light wires ,the disconnect would be useful so it doesn't waste battery power ,you could also use a completely separate switch for the trailer turn signal and have on and off for the lights although it's a pain in the butt you gotta figure out a good place for the extra switch. On my old bike I just used a truck trailer connector lol.

I still think it is entirely too big.

The Gen2 has about the same load capacity as a Gen1, around 450 pounds tops.

If you weight 185 pounds and that trailer weighs around 200 pounds, which it clearly does, then you're already at near capacity for the bike before you even put anything in the trailer at all.

Add to that it's a lateral rather than a vertical load and you are in big trouble if you ever have to stop quickly.

Be extraordinarily careful.

I still think it is entirely too big.

The Gen2 has about the same load capacity as a Gen1, around 450 pounds tops.

If you weight 185 pounds and that trailer weighs around 200 pounds, which it clearly does, then you're already at near capacity for the bike before you even put anything in the trailer at all.

Add to that it's a lateral rather than a vertical load and you are in big trouble if you ever have to stop quickly.

Be extraordinarily careful.
Yes my biggest fear will be someone trying to brake check me while on the highway… Thanks for the concern and will have to be diligent as a defensive driver while towing but I hope to enjoy the nice long drive no matter what nature throws at me.

Very Respectfully,
John Henderson

There are plenty of riders who pull a trailer. Kyle has posted pics of his Gold Wing pulling a trailer. You just need to be a cautious operator, not doing anything suddenly which could upset the bike's equilibrium.

The hitch connection is super solid.
Like better than many heavy duty towing for over 3K trailers… Like big time overkill for towing the 350lbs the trailer will be fully loaded

View attachment 93747
Man you’re not lying on that hitch being HD….can we see a pic of where it mounts to the bike please?

If you have time….awesome looking trailer.

A Goldwing is a bigger bike and also has purpose made trailers made specifically for it; they're HALF the size of the one he's pulling and still weighs over 200 pounds.

View attachment 93748
https://openroadoutfitters.com/escapade-elite-2001-10-gold-wing/

According to stats the goldwing is roughly a little bigger but doesn’t look it 🤷🏻‍♂️
IMG_8219.jpeg

My trailer body storage is 54”long X 34”wide X 24”height… roughly 24 cubic feet… I also paid less for this custom build $3000

Here are some closer pics around hitch etc. as requested

IMG_8204.jpeg

IMG_8224.jpeg
IMG_8221.jpeg
IMG_8222.jpeg

This next pic might be my favorite part of trailer that was not planned…
IMG_8220.jpeg
It fits my golf clubs! 🙌

My trailer body storage is 54”long X 34”wide X 24”height… roughly 24 cubic feet
It's actually 25.5 cubic feet exactly.

Whoever did the hitch assembly is fantastic. That's some serious engineering.

The major difference though is that your hitch is on the axel and swing arm, which is less than ideal. The Gold Wing mounts to the solid main frame proper and has no contact at all with the axel or swing arm.

It just scares the hell out of me that you're putting a lateral load like that on your axel and swing arm. It was never intended to carry that kind of load. There's no telling how that's going to react in an emergency.

It's actually 25.5 cubic feet exactly.

Whoever did the hitch assembly is fantastic. That's some serious engineering.

The major difference though is that your hitch is on the axel and swing arm, which is less than ideal. The Gold Wing mounts to the solid main frame proper and has no contact at all with the axel or swing arm.

It just scares the hell out of me that you're putting a lateral load like that on your axel and swing arm. It was never intended to carry that kind of load. There's no telling how that's going to react in an emergency.
I dunno man the rear wheel mount where hitch attaches seems very sturdy…
I was test riding with it on highway and it felt like it wasn’t even in tow… very smooth riding but at higher speeds I can kinda feel the wind drag but not by much and VMAX has the power to do tripple digits with it in tow np and smoothly 😇

I know what Parminio is saying, the bike wasn't designed to have that additional load on the swingarm. Imagine going around a curve, and you hit some debris, which would be hard to avoid, as you now are tracking three points of contact with the road. It does make sense that feeding the load into something attached to the frame would negate the detrimental effect on handling as opposed to the swingarm/axle mount. However, since you are going to be acting like a mature rider with the additional baggage, the same as you need to moderate sudden inputs of steering or power when towing with a 4 wheel vehicle, I hope your time with the rig is uneventful.

Yes I have tested the trailer beyond normal towing recommended use and she holds up well… I think that has a lot to do with the weighted ball bearings in the tires that help it not bounce around on highway… the dude really uses his own motorcycle trailers to go from Canada to Mexico testing stuff and finding better ways.
He says he drives his Hayabusa with a trailer down to Mexico to see family 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest posts

Back