Yet another Kuryakyn ISO grip install question(s)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klutch14u

Reaction score
Bought a NOS set of 6241's. The included glue is long dried out. Trying to decide if I buy new glue. I see hairspray is often used as the initial lube and after dry, glue, to hold these on. From searching, there are numerous other things used including regular old super glue. I'd like them to be safe but not paint myself in a corner where they might never come off again. I also want to keep this as simple as possible.

As far as the grips themselves, does the Vmax require the use of the included spacer?

Finally, and something I haven't seen talked about, what's the best way to orientate these? I'm sure someone has put these on and later wished they had orientated them a little differently. I'll put them on the same on both sides but want to know how the horizontal seams should go.

As much as I hate being the first to respond to my own post, I got the old grips off using the compressed air method. Wow, came right off although the throttle side put up a small fight. The clutch side Kury grip just slides loosely on, I'm not sure just glue would even be sufficient. I expect it to have a pretty good grip without any adhesive. Any advice?

I think their adhesive is just the gel version of the superglue. Nothing special.

Left side is loose. A couple wraps of elec. tape in a candy cane pattern with a couple wraps at the ends help snug them up. Then some super glue or grip glue to secure it in place. Right side fit snug out of the box, I just used a little clear silicone to secure it as I didnt want to damage the throttle tube during future removal. This method held both sides secure and allowed for removal and reinstallation without damage to anything when I changed bars. I had them so my finger tips were between the rubber pads resting on chrome rib. This gave me kind of a notch for my fingers tips to set in.

Left side is loose. A couple wraps of elec. tape in a candy cane pattern with a couple wraps at the ends help snug them up. Then some super glue or grip glue to secure it in place. Right side fit snug out of the box, I just used a little clear silicone to secure it as I didnt want to damage the throttle tube during future removal. This method held both sides secure and allowed for removal and reinstallation without damage to anything when I changed bars. I had them so my finger tips were between the rubber pads resting on chrome rib. This gave me kind of a notch for my fingers tips to set in.

Thanks, I'll probably try the electrical tape and see if I can't get it snug. The throttle side feels like it's going to be pretty snug out of the gate. I too hesitate on the throttle tube. Might try the hairspray method on it and see how it holds. Did you need to the included spacer at all? After removing the stock and dry fitting the clutch side, it doesn't appear it'll be used at all but thought I'd ask.

Back