2001 vmax fuel filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgosset1

Reaction score
How do i replace the fuel filter; bike is still running like shit....have the idle turned up just to get 1k rpms on idle....or where is the dang filter located, i want to slap one on tomorrow....got some super unleaded with seafoam running in it right now, gonna go thru a couple tanks of it before i have the carbs rebuilt, maybe with some luck it will straighten itself out....need to replace the fuel filter first...thanks for any help....Mike in Irving, Tx....

It sits right on top of the fuel tank.

Remove the seat and you will see it. It mounted in a little rubber holder. Just slide it out of the holder, remove the fuel lines on either side, push the fuel lines onto the new one, slide it into the holder, cycle the key a couple times and thats it.

While it's not a terrible idea to change the filter, I kind of doubt that's the issue. If it would fall on it's face at high throttle positions, or wouldn't run at WOT for very long, then maybe. My '97 had the original last year when I changed it just to do it...was running fine. (Thanks F-M!)

If you haven't already, do the peashooter and shotgun. Check the "VMF links" button at the top of the screen.

While it's not a terrible idea to change the filter, I kind of doubt that's the issue. If it would fall on it's face at high throttle positions, or wouldn't run at WOT for very long, then maybe. My '97 had the original last year when I changed it just to do it...was running fine. (Thanks F-M!)

If you haven't already, do the peashooter and shotgun. Check the "VMF links" button at the top of the screen.

You're welcome, "Ra!"

A clogged air filter could make your bike run like crap, especially if there is a nest of mice in there. Have you ever had the top off? have you ever replaced it? Don't have to go to the dealer, there are cheaper alternatives.
If you do want a dealer item, them look at prices at ronayres.com, or maybe Sean or CaptainKyle, Privateer Piratical Plunderer of the Bahamas, may have one for you.
pr27227.jpg

Your local Yamaha dealer will have the filter, but that's not your problem, you need to try the "pea shooter" method and CLEAN OUT THOSE CARBS! I have a mechanic friend in Arlington who has a 2000 VMAX, and he did the pea shooter on it and the results were like night and day. If you want his contact information, send me a PM, I'm sure he can hook you up!

yea give me his contact info....damn bike sat up 9 years...runs great going down the road and never misses a lick....right now i have my idle screw turned way up to get it to idle at 1,100 and it idles fine there....man i ain't no garage mechanic; just a 57 year old man that likes to haul-ass ...lol...yamaha house inspected the bike today and said around 400 to 600 bucks to remove carbs and do a total clean....i got the money; just hate to spend it if there is a easier and cheaper fix.....thanks for the help

your right on that; probably not the fuel filter....its runs like a top going down the road...v boost and all work good....

yea give me his contact info....damn bike sat up 9 years...runs great going down the road and never misses a lick....right now i have my idle screw turned way up to get it to idle at 1,100 and it idles fine there....man i ain't no garage mechanic; just a 57 year old man that likes to haul-ass ...lol...yamaha house inspected the bike today and said around 400 to 600 bucks to remove carbs and do a total clean....i got the money; just hate to spend it if there is a easier and cheaper fix.....thanks for the help

There is a nice carb sticky on cleaning carbs, complete with pictures, in the carb section of the forum. It really isn't that difficult. With the pics, I'm sure you can get it done yourself and save a bit of $. As for the filter, PM me your address. I have a new one in my toolbox. I went with a clear glass one so I don't need it. No charge, I'll get it in the mail to you.

I put about a 1.5oz's of seafoam in my tank about every-other or every third fillup. I've had no problems at all with the way it runs. One of them 5-hour energy bottles filled with the seafoam or other tratment of choice (techtron, start-your-engine, etc..), sits nicely by the gas cap and makes for a handy container.

here is a link to the shotgun technique. http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

And don't forget, A good carb sync does wonders for the way the Vmax runs.

i saw that ad on ebay for the supertraps....man i don't trust people that have had six transactions on ebay......John i done got burned doing that....like to have never got my money back from paypal.....

You might want to PM dannymax, a member on the forum, he rebuilds carbs ......

Owner/Operator - BRC...(Best Rebuilt Carbs) PM for specifics!

How do i replace the fuel filter; bike is still running like shit....have the idle turned up just to get 1k rpms on idle....or where is the dang filter located, i want to slap one on tomorrow....got some super unleaded with seafoam running in it right now, gonna go thru a couple tanks of it before i have the carbs rebuilt, maybe with some luck it will straighten itself out....need to replace the fuel filter first...thanks for any help....Mike in Irving, Tx....

Back