82' kz1100

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same thing but not the Spectre, mine was the LTD which serves as the basis of this. This bike is a clean example. I actually prefer the KZ1000J model to this. That was the basis for the Eddie Lawson Replica which for Kawi fans is one of the most sought-after bikes in Kawi's history.

I have had KZ1000's in the J series, the LTD, and the A series which pre-dated the J. I also have owned a KZ750 and a KZ550. The 1000's of course made big h.p. for the day, the 750 was very nimble and lighter than the 1000's, and the 550 you could throw-around and cut thru urban traffic better than any of the others.

The thing I liked the most about my Kawis was they were reliable and fun to ride. On my KZ1000J I put GPZ1100 cams, had the head flowed, 33 mm Mikuni smoothbores, a Kerker aluminum can 4/1, Dyna coils, and an undercut tranny from Falicon. I loved the clocks on that thing at night, just beautiful displays w/the translucent illuminated orange needles. When i rode next to one of my friends on the interstate who also had a KZ1000, the two engines sounded like some WW II fighter plane because of the harmonics.

The Spectre was nothing really special except that if you liked the paint treatment, you wanted it badly. The Yamaha equivalent was the Midnight Maxim line, blackout & gold, like a F1car of the same time, maybe a John Player Special Lotus? People often believe they are rare and valuable, and they are neither. This one looks v. clean and would be a good buy for someone who likes the J model LTD-style, if they could get it for ~$2500.

Sweet Bike. I've got to many already though. Any more, I'll have to build a Barn....
Great to see the old ones still kickin though

Back