88 model Forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
Hi all,

My fork seals are leaking again. They started to leak on the same side as last time which was about 2-3 months ago. I am wondering if there is a top quality fork seal out there? and does anyone know who sells after market oil seal circlips?

My bike is the 88 model with the air valve under the tripple tree, I have purchased a set of valves from a different model( i think 86 mod) these ones screw into the top of the forks, because I want to lower the forks.
The only problem is the 3 little holes will it have to be welded? what kind of welder do I need to see or should I ask what kind of metal are the forks made from? Can I just tap a thread in the hole and Loctite a screw in them and grind off the head?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Good tidings from down under:thumbs up:

I think people here have used epoxy, sounds like a job for JB Weld! Your idea would probably work but I think you may grind thru the hard chrome, no-matter how careful you are. Welding will work too of course. Personally, use the JB Weld, that way you can always go back easily if you want.

As for leaking fork seals, do you use factory seals? And I haven't looked @ the parts diagram but aren't the fork seal circlips avail as separate items? There has to be a burr that is tearing-up your seals. Try using a discarded nylon pantyhose stretched tight and around the fork downtube, run it up & down, you'll find it (or them) when you snag.

You might consider going to the 1993+ 43 mm tubes/triple trees for better handling, & there is always the $$ upside-down-fork option.

We just finished up doing this same thing last week for another customer. You weld up the hole in each fork (only one in each upper tube) then don't run any air at all. I'm not sure what model you would find that would have a fitting in the top that will thread into your forks (the 93-07 have them setup that way but they won't fit in the early forks).

We also have a few of the later front ends we can sell you too but that's a higher cost.

I use only OEM seals since the aftermarket "leak Proof" seals suck. You could have either overfilled it, used too much air (which we don't recommend any), or had a nick in the tube that you missed.

I can also sell you new tubes if you wanted to replace the old ones.

Sean

Use the JB weld.....get the Progressive springs from Sean or the Captain, w/1 or 2 inch drop, and run no air.
If you get regular springs, u can drop the forks to hit the circlip that held the air connections.

How much air did you run in the forks...that could be the problem?

BTW my Max handles just fine with the spindle forks:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back