Airbox help please.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
As I mentioned, my Max runs a little boggy in the low/mid. Today I decided to try the "peashooter" method described here to see if cleaning things out offered any improvement.

I don't know if it did or not because I can't get the damn airbox back on right.

Now bear with me, I'm a controls electrician, not a mechanic. So while mechanically inclined, per se, I am not immune from occasionally missing the obvious and having to ask a stupid question.

Air box goes back on easy enough, carb boots are in good shape, but how in the HELL am I supposed to get a paw in there to re-attach the vent hose at the rear of the box? From where I'm sitting it seems like it would entail taking half the damn bike apart.

Hralp?

It's been a while since I had my box off, but I think I took the hose loose at the other end, hooked it to my box, then reconnected to the cranckcase

Thanks Tex, was just thinking that. Now I'm roaming around trying to find my needle nose to do it. Everythings a bit of a wreck here atm.

Thanks Tex, was just thinking that. Now I'm roaming around trying to find my needle nose to do it. Everythings a bit of a wreck here atm.

Remove the coolant tank (which just pulls off of it's bracket) and you should be able to squeeze your hand in there to put the hose on pretty easily.

I've done that about 60 times in the last few weeks...:biglaugh:

Remove the coolant tank (which just pulls off of it's bracket) and you should be able to squeeze your hand in there to put the hose on pretty easily.

I've done that about 60 times in the last few weeks...:biglaugh:

Dammit, there it is. Thanks for the input guys. I went with the first thought and pulled the other end, I've got it all back together and rerouted now, if I can ever find my $#%^ pliers I'll snap that last hose on and try it out.

EDIT - Just wanted to add, you guys rock at this forum, this has got to be the best live resource for any Max owner.

Well, dip my ass in butter and call me a biscuit.

I didn't have high hopes for that bit of maintenance, seemed pretty simple, but it sure seems to have crisped up throttle response, well, quite a bit, actually.

Still had a minor pop from the exhaust when dumping throttle and engine braking, not sure if that's a cold issue or not (only went around the neighborhood).

Many thanks to whoever first posted that, it's going right into my quarterly PM's.

Well, dip my ass in butter and call me a biscuit.

I didn't have high hopes for that bit of maintenance, seemed pretty simple, but it sure seems to have crisped up throttle response, well, quite a bit, actually.

Still had a minor pop from the exhaust when dumping throttle and engine braking, not sure if that's a cold issue or not (only went around the neighborhood).

Many thanks to whoever first posted that, it's going right into my quarterly PM's.

cold in socal? it's 29 with flurries here tonite! i went to usmc bootcamp in san diego btw...:eusa_dance:

Hey Noxxx72
Where in So Cal are you??? Havent found anyone on here that posts regularly.
Cheers

Still had a minor pop from the exhaust when dumping throttle and engine braking, not sure if that's a cold issue or not (only went around the neighborhood)...

The off throttle and engine braking 'POP' is usually caused by;

1) An air leak at the intakes.

Check that all the clamps are tight on the intake manifolds, vboost etc. including the crossovers for the v-boost manifold, check that the rubber caps over the vacuum hose inlets on the lower manifold are sealed properly and not leaking. Check for cracks in the rubber manifold tubes. MAke sure lower manifold is correctly tightened to the head.

2) Worn / leaking coasting enrichment valve.

Other things can cause it but most times it's an air leak.

The off throttle and engine braking 'POP' is usually caused by;

1) An air leak at the intakes.

Other things can cause it but most times it's an air leak.

Thanks. I'm going to check that in the morning, since I did have the airbox off. I thought I had everything snugged up tight, but probably could use another quarter turn somewhere.

Thanks. I'm going to check that in the morning, since I did have the airbox off. I thought I had everything snugged up tight, but probably could use another quarter turn somewhere.

i thought popping on decelleration was usually caused from running a bit rich? thats been the case on most things i had anyway... usually from changing exhaust and what not

YOU CAN ALSO GET " POPPING " OUT THE EXAUST IF YOU HAVE A SIGHT EXAUST LEAK , IT LET'S FRESH AIR INTO THE PIPES UNDER DECELLERATION & CAN FIRE SOME UNBURNED FUEL IN THE PIPE , CAUSING THE POPPING NOISE !:punk:

Either way it's not the intake, I ran thru it this morning and everything is in good shape and tighter than a bugs ass.

ATM waiting to see what the stealership is gonna charge to sync the carbs, which is something I wanted checked anyway, then it's on to the exhaust system, gotta get those Cobras outta here.

Either way it's not the intake, I ran thru it this morning and everything is in good shape and tighter than a bugs ass.

ATM waiting to see what the stealership is gonna charge to sync the carbs, which is something I wanted checked anyway, then it's on to the exhaust system, gotta get those Cobras outta here.

Yo Dude, dont pay the dealership to sync your carbs. I will bring up my Carb Tune Pro and do it for free, or at least show you how to do it. Let me know
Cheers:punk:

Yo Dude, dont pay the dealership to sync your carbs. I will bring up my Carb Tune Pro and do it for free, or at least show you how to do it. Let me know
SEE , THATS WHAT THIS FORUM IS ALL ABOUT ! V-MAX BROTHERHOOD !:punk:

As I mentioned, my Max runs a little boggy in the low/mid. Today I decided to try the "peashooter" method described here to see if cleaning things out offered any improvement.

I don't know if it did or not because I can't get the damn airbox back on right.

Now bear with me, I'm a controls electrician, not a mechanic. So while mechanically inclined, per se, I am not immune from occasionally missing the obvious and having to ask a stupid question.

Air box goes back on easy enough, carb boots are in good shape, but how in the HELL am I supposed to get a paw in there to re-attach the vent hose at the rear of the box? From where I'm sitting it seems like it would entail taking half the damn bike apart.

Hralp?

You do not have to remove the enire airbox to Pea shoot.

Just remove the top of the box and use a long syringe from your local hometown pharmacy.

If they give you guff, say you are injecting a watermelon with Vodka for your Halloween party...........or what ever holiday is coming up.:eusa_dance:

Right the hell on man, that's what I need anyway, someone who really knows the Max, since it's kind of an odd duck engine as bikes go.

Let me know when's good for you, I can take you to lunch or pay you off in Disney swag lol.

(btw, Berts wants $91 to sync, and $100 to mount my tires. Those guys are ruthless.)

Ouch. It takes 5-10 minutes to sync.

At that rate the stealerships hourly charge would be about $500. I am sure they are charging him minimum one hour of labor. All I want is a beer or TWO or THREE or FOUR but of course not before getting back on the bike.:biglaugh: Heck I dont even let my GF drink when we go out on the bike. All I need is for her to fall off and that would be two good chicks down the drain.

Hey Noxxx what is your schedule look like this week? Sounds like you work nights???

Latest posts

Back