best front tire for the money

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
The vmax I just bought needs a new front tire. It has the original 1988 Bridgestone g525! Should I get that same tire? Also the tire website lists that tire for only 89-06 vmax's. Will this fit my 88 max?

I'm sure there's alot opinions on this subjet, but I would say yu can't go wrong with an Metzeler ME880.

Mike

I'm sure there's alot opinions on this subjet, but I would say yu can't go wrong with an Metzeler ME880.

Mike

How do you guys feel about mixing tires? The back is in great shape but is a goodyear tire.

Also how tough is the front tire to get off the bike and whats the exact size on the front?

Thanks,
Abe

How do you guys feel about mixing tires? The back is in great shape but is a goodyear tire.

Also how tough is the front tire to get off the bike and whats the exact size on the front?

Thanks,
Abe

Personally, I like my tires to match. Technically, I don't know if they can be mixed.

Removing and mounting/static balance a new one isn't bad if you're set up for it, tire irons, balance stand, weights, etc.

Best value for money I could find is the Shinko Tourmaster 230 tire.

I'm not a great fan of mixing front and back tires, but apparently it's ok as long as you don't mix radial and bias plies.

Taking the wheel off is easy - just put the bike on its center stand and jack up under the motor to get the weight off the front wheel. You could prolly take the tire off yourself if you have the tools, but I prefer taking my wheels to the stealership to have it fitted and properly balanced, the latter being VERY important on a bike that'll easily do 145mph.

The vmax I just bought needs a new front tire. It has the original 1988 Bridgestone g525! Should I get that same tire? Also the tire website lists that tire for only 89-06 vmax's. Will this fit my 88 max?

LOL! A museum piece of a tire! I'd go with the ME880 that was suggested by another post. Tire wise (and many other parts) 85-2006 all fit the VMax. There wasn't a lot of changes over the years. I wouldn't worry about mixing the brand names with bias ply tires.

Judging from the pictures HDK...
You might want to change the back tire as soon as possible too. It looks kinda squared off. Even though it has good tread, a rounder profile tire will make the bike feel better going into the turns.
just my two cents...

and yeah... With the sissy bar, I think you got a decent deal at 3K.

Latest posts

Back