Brake Caliber Help Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagco1

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm the new guy on the block, I have a 1992 Vmax with some up grade front calipers. I took my bike up to the dealer to have the bike inspected for 2 year tags.
The service guy said I needed new front brakes but the look good to me, any way
the guy did not no what brakes to install/fit my bike. So he said he can install the stock calipers new for $526.00 I told him no way. So here I am can you guy's help me.

I thought these was off R1 bike.

Here's a few pictures of the calipers.

:bang head:

Sorry about Caliber it's caliper did not catch it me a little sleepy.

Attachments

• P1000153.JPG
    P1000153.JPG
    161 KB
  • P1000149.jpg
    P1000149.jpg
    69.6 KB
Last edited:
Run from that Fuc$in shop as fast as you can and never darken their door again!
Damn crooks. Not to mention ignorant. Let us all know where this is so we can avoid it!
If they think stockers are better than these Tokicos, they should burn to the ground. Sorry to be blunt but you can't see if your pads are worn or don't know what to look for? This site has more info than you could ever need. Ask your questions under the appropriate section or use the search function. This site is gonna save you tons of wasted cash or unwisely spent money. You'll be blowing through the money, just not unneccessarily! We love helping fellow members spend their hard earned cash. Welcome aboard, don't be a stranger.
PATMAX

Last edited:
The pads usually have the # code on the back of the pads. Also, last time I was looking in the book at my friend's shop, I think it was the Parts Unlimited, there was a section in the brakes info that had silhouettes of the shapes of the pads so you could match them up. But someone on here is gonna know which pads those take.

Did they say why the calipers needed changing?

If it was poor efficiency then they certainly need attention.

However, before replacing them start by taking them off the bike and check that all the pistons move a similar amount when the lever is pulled.

Put a piece of wood or similar between the pistons to prevent them popping out.
Take the opportunity to give them a clean. Either use a brake cleaning spray or give the area around the pistons a good scrub using some brake fluid and an old tooth brush. Make sure you remove any excess fluid.
Remember to protect any paintwork if using Dot 3 or 4 fluids.

Check the pad thickness and if anywhere near the metal replace them.

Change the brake fluid - once bled tie the lever back over night which will firm the feel up.

If you still have the original nubbier brake hoses change them as they are well beyond their service life. Take the opportunity to upgrade to braided lines.

Remove the brake levers and grease the pivots.

Check front brake disk thickness which should be more than 7.0 mm (up to '92) and 4.5 mm ('92 on), the rear should be more than 7.0 mm.

If after that lot your brakes are still Doggies doo's then yes, you will need to change the calipers.

Oh yes, I would also go to a different shop!

There are on the front. They said the brake pads needed changing, The did not no what pads fit my calipers - so they was trying to change them back to stock calipers to get the bike through inspection. I thought the calipers came off of a R1 bike the dealer said these are not R1 calipers.

Thank guys, What I'm trying to find is what bike these came off of what brake pads fit in the calipers. I did pull the caliper a lose and the brakes do have brake pad lift but will go head and change them. So on the back of the brake pads there's a code, and there a site on line where I can match the shape up. The calipers stop the bike on a dime. The dealer was Atlantic Cycles in Waldorf MD. They change $56.50 to look at the bike. "O" where can I get a service manual for the bike to.

Last edited:
They are indeed early suzuki. I probably have a pair of pads on hand.

I am gonna say those calipers are from a GSXR 750 ?

Take a look: http://johnbiccum.smugmug.com/Other...793932716_kzJjJ#!i=793932716&k=kzJjJ&lb=1&s=M

Man thanks to all guys, They look like the GSXR 750 pictures. That picture help a lot. From that pictures I was able to find that they are from GSXR 600/750 srad year 2001 to 2003. Thanks and Thanks. Man I was going nuts about this when the dealer was trying pull them off to replace them back with stock calipers.

Man wish I could help you guys with the bike to. I nothing about the Vmax...

:clapping: me a happy camper

First off my apology for my post. Steve L (Maxmidnight) gave you a much more useful answer to your question. I just hate seeing shops ripping off people. Davidon is close to you and a good local resource. Look at anyone's post and the far right has a little info such as their locale and # of posts. When one gets into the few hundred, you can almost be assured they have been around the block so to speak. Some guys are in the thousands!
This community loves helping out and are great at helping everyone learn from our experiences, trials, failures and successes.

Maxmidnight, It's cool I was piss about it to when I was there. The shop did not even try to match them. The funny thing I went back in to there service part of the shop they had 2 other Vmax's there. I thought they must have seen a big full coming in me. I no they would have pull my brakes off and install them on another bike.

Thanks

I do agree they are suzuki early ones. If i recall correctly those have 63mm spacing and if so you can get better ones from a CBR. I got a set of those for a early ZXR set of forks and they do brake nice... You can get them on Ebay for 50 bucks or less...

I do agree they are suzuki early ones. If i recall correctly those have 63mm spacing and if so you can get better ones from a CBR. I got a set of those for a early ZXR set of forks and they do brake nice... You can get them on Ebay for 50 bucks or less...

The brakes on the bike stop real good very happy with the stopping power. Just tryig to match the calipers and brake pads. "O" - brake pads are Sumitomo - Toyo S20 GG, 0805 they have copper color base.

Last edited:
Back