BrakeAway Cruise Control

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, I think it's one of the most worthless things I've ever seen. Calling it "cruise control" is a farce....it's a throttle lock. Cruise control senses vehicle speed and adjusts throttle to maintain a set speed. This just holds your twist for you. So you'll lose speed up hills, and gain it going down. I thought a major point of cruise control was to avoid speeding tickets, which if anything this is going to earn you one as you go flying down a hill into a speed trap at 100mph, since that throttle position was only 75 on flats. The manufacturer touts you can easily adjust the "setting", but what's the point if you have to constantly "adjust" it? Just hold the damn thing and pocket the $200, IMO.

My Max came with a "crampbuster" thingy on the throttle....a clamp on "paddle" to rest against your palm. Hated it. Couldn't get a firm grip when things got exciting and just always seemed to be in the way. Took it off within a couple days. Probably still have it somewhere, it's yours if you want it. I've done 600 mile days with just the twist grip, no gizmos, and had no hand/wrist problems, even after about 300 miles of "spirited" riding holding it WOT or nearly so the whole time, and the rest cruising on the highway.

If you get a sore wrist from holding it, get a rider's wrist brace. I know Dennis Kirk sells them. Hell of a lot cheaper than $200 for an admittedly pretty, but worthless chunk of aluminum. A piece of duct tape would accomplish the same goal.

I had one on the used FJR I bought. I used it a few times, removed it, and sold it on ebay to someone who probably felt like they paid $150 for something that works no better than a sticky bar end.

I know, it's cool to apply the front brake and have it kick off. BFD.

I am on the other side. I have the vista cruise type. http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=11&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_07-4045_G

it's not exactly like this but close. all plastic. have it on my 88, wife's 85, universal one on her maurader, have one on my busa. have had one on both fz1's i have had. Sometimes you have to modify it abit. make sure you get the right on. I love it. cheap and easy way to take your hand off the throttle for a few seconds or minutes to get some blood back into them. On long trips it nice to do just that. Don't like the wrist ones , just got in the way. my other busa i had a throttlemeister on it. didn't like it.
my 02 of course

There's actally someone out there that wants to keep a steady throttle?:rofl_200:
+1 on the over priced gimick. Ive had the cruiser one and the "paddle" and it after constant fiddleing ditched'm.
Blown 55's, hotrods with balls and the like don't have cruise controlls. My Max won't either.

I've got a brake-away and a vista cruise and like them both.
The brake-away is expensive and a bitch to set up and get adjusted properly....but works well enough.
The vista cruise is cheap and easy to set up with minimal adjustment needed....and also works well enough.

As RA mentioned, neither of these are actual an 'cruise control'....merely a throttle set which helps reduce hand cramping.

I tried the paddle type but didn't really like it and haven't tried anything else. I have done several 500+ miles this year w/o a sore/ cramped wrist and have gotten used to not using a throttle lock. I'm sure my next bike(FJR) will have a cruise control (a real one and not a lock down type) but I'm good with Redbone as is.:punk:

I've been using a throttle lock for over 30 years (Vista Cruise and NEP). (Not the one that is the "bridge" type). Wouldn't have a bike without one. Have to modify the throttle tube on the Max though.

Several of my friends have added an Audiovox electronic cruise control to their bikes (FJR1300, ST1300 and Concours). No place on the Max for the parts though.

Latest posts

Back