"Build it and they will come" or vice a versa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATMAX

Reaction score
This has been mentioned before and I am unaware if anyone stepped up to the plate. Are there any interested in doing a full bike build during Daytona this year? I have accumalated just about everything to do a first year Max with a few tasteful mods. Perhaps Boxennstopp would be able to host the event. Maybe the vendors would like to be on board with their support. Of course this would hopefully get full coverage in the V Boost for posterity and advertising for vendors who participated. I would like to hear the interest and pros/cons of this undertaking. Perhaps tell us what you would like to see. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Last edited:
Describe "Full bike build". It's one thing to bolt one all back together but another to assemble one from scratch or do any extra work while it's apart.

Sean

I have already replied to Sean. This is a build that will encompass a first year Max. Although it is apart or basketcase, being an 85 it should have the tranny addressed to avoid the dreaded "slip". Most of the subassemblies can be pre-done to speed things up. I would doubt the motor could be completely gone through and painted in preparation for an install in a weeks time but I don't know what you talented people are capable of ! If there is any interest, it could be bumped up CC wise or made more bullet proof or just bone stock. This would be a mostly "Bolt Up" process with all painting done and no refinishing or polishing needing done, just new or pre-finished parts. It depends on what everybody wants to do or is willing to undertake. Right now, nothing radical is anticipated. Some custom paint, some bling in the way of chromed factory pieces, an extended swing arm was mentioned. The idea was presented before by Gary Haynes from All Out Racing but never got off the ground. This idea is crossposted on the VMOA site. It was my thought that they have a "primary" role in making the contacts and organizing as the official VMax ambassador/entity if the bike is to become their property to be used to best represent the Max community. I doubt I can call UFO, Morely's or Boxenstopp and ask for freebies on my own name! The question was asked of "why do this?" I don't know if it will become a travelling billboard for VMOA or ongoing test mule or a raffle prize for a VMOA fundraiser. It is up to the people and their suggestions. West coasters can support in any way they desire such as a part they care to add to the cause such as NOS bearings or gaskets laying around, or small cash donations to defray any unforseen last minute purchases like tires. If this looks like it might happen, I will put out a list of what is on hand and what is still needed eg. carbs and exhaust. Right now, everything is unscripted and open to comment and suggestion. Lets hear what you think, pro or con! Thanks PATMAX

If this looks like its gonna get off the ground I will do a simple paint job maybe racing stripes or some simple graphics as long as I get the pieces well in advance & it will have to be with some of the colors I have laying around & I have quite a few colors.

Hey Kyle this is the "lid" I had for the project. Pic is shit and much nicer than it shows. I am fairly picky and I would rate it 8.5 out of 10. Not perfect but it would take a trained eye and the right light to see the imperfections. This was done with "left overs" just like you have on hand.

Last edited:
I don't yet know that I'll be making it to Daytona anyway, and I really wouldn't be much help if I did, but FYI I'd be really interested in just watching the thing come together.

I don't yet know that I'll be making it to Daytona anyway, and I really wouldn't be much help if I did, but FYI I'd be really interested in just watching the thing come together.

....on that note......if this flies....maybe a webcam of the event for us spectators that can't make it........

Hey Yukoner and Mike, thanks for the input. Yuk, sometimes someone to pass the beer is quite helpful. Seriously, something like this is so much easier when you're being fed the right metric socket or organizing the parts pile etc. Mike, a big part of the effort is to do just what your observation is. What does it take to slap a bike back together? Well, "slap together" is the wrong verbiage but you get the point. What does it take to re-do or reassemble a Max from ground up. I am sure there are tons of guys here that can do this in their sleep. There are guys that specialize in motors, trans, carbs, forks, paint etc. Some are masters at it all! I started the thread because I wanted to see it done! Did you guys see that there is an engine rebuild video out now? Mine is on the way. This could and should be the same. Plus it would be nice to put a face with all the monikers you guys have. The only flaw I see is it is an east coast thing and we miss out on the help from the left coast. I think Cozad Components is out west and it would be swell to have some of their specialized product represented. Actually, I think I was overly excited in thinking of all the possibilities. Oh well, maybe a VMOA chapter will try the project. Maybe chapters can compete against each other. Opps, there I go again geting carried away.:confused2:

It could possibly be a neat chapter thing one day. I am a little tied up right now with my Mustang & FJ 1100 & my 68 Suzuki Tc 200 & a little side work but if I could get some of that out of the way it would be cool but I dont turn down a whole lot of side work.

Latest posts

Back