Carb leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shenilok

Reaction score
New here and have some issues with my bike.
Right front (#4?) carb is flooding.
Bike is stock , 20k, sparks are new.
I was going for :"if it ain't broke don't fix it". Now its broke so I need to fix it.
I downloaded a manual on line and in several places in it the main jet size/type was 152.5 on all four carbs for the US model and in one place it was #1 #3 152.5 and #2 #4 150. What is the right answer? I have 152.5 X4.
I have been reading the carbs bible: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3809
I still need to check the fuel level.
Is there a way to check the coil, just to be sure.
Could the fuel level in the bowl cause the flooding?

fuel level in bowl can def cause flooding - could be stuck open needle and seat for float or could be bad float (not very likely).

i'd check float level first, then work through possible internal leaks for carbs.

spark is easy enough to check - plug in wire out of cylinder, ground thread area of plug to engine - should have a fat blue spark.

if spark looks weak, check wire, cap, then coil...

152.5 x 4 is right for your year. The manual you're looking at is for the '85, which had the different size jets for two cylinders that year only.

Most of the time, if a carb is flooding, it's due to a stuck needle valve. Easiest fix is a lil' tap on the carb body with something soft, like a rubber mallet.
If that doesn't do it, taking the carbs off to have a good look may be required, and isn't that hard to do.
Doing the peashooter and shotgun cleaning methods often helps with carb issues, as they can get clogged up easily, more so if the bike's been sitting with fuel in it.
If you have recurring flooding problems, I strongly suggest taking a good look inside the fuel tank, as any rust in there will lead to endless carburetion problems especially flooding.

Well, I did the float level, but not sure about the best way to level the bike.
Runs better more smooth maybe a litle less power below 3-4K.
Does the altitude(above 6000 ft) is going to need some other adjustments?
I've tried the idle screws at 2, 2.5, 3 , I can't tell any diference.
Nice to have the bike back on the road,anyway.
Thanks for your input.

At that altitude you need smaller main jets, might take a few jet changes to figure out what size needed

Latest posts

Back