Changing front tire, need help with options and with brake system.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HentaTenta

Reaction score
Hi. 2003 VMAX with, what I've been told by the previous owner, fork from GSX-R1100, possibly 1992. Need help with some topics, please.
1) Need replacement front tire. Right now it's Michelin Pilot Power 3 radial 120/70/17 on some kind of Suzuki rim.
20240713_101402.jpg20240713_101618.jpg20240713_101420.jpg
What would be my options in radials?

2) Speedometer able.
Speedo cable is missing. Do I look for a vmax speedo cable? Or gsx?

3) Front brake system.
Originally, I was planning on, eventually, fully changing og VMAX front brake system with "other Yamaha calipers, from the R6/R1/Fazers/FJR" as stated in FAQ post. But it seems there are 6-pot Tokico callipers installed, I imagine from the fork donor?
20240713_111927.jpg
So those are good? What pads do I put in those? EBC's "HH" for gsx? Should I still swap the brake hose for a stainless steel one?
Also, master brake cylinder is some kind of Nissin, not original for VMAX, since it doesn't have a hole for the mirror. Do I keep it? Does it fit/work well with the calipers?
20240713_112258.jpg20240713_230424.jpg
Thank you.

You already have a good braking system. I would just get HH pads. They will fit various suzuki models with the most common being the 99-07 Hayabusa. I stock them in the sintered and semi metallic if you wanted something less aggressive (if your brakes are too grabby). Double check and see if the rotors have a brand on them (like Galfer) then you could decide if you want to keep a matched brake pad to that brand (not needed if you aren't worried about a warranty which not being the original owner would not apply anyway).

You won't be able to easily adapt a speedo drive and fit those forks. If it's a version that did use a drive cable then you may be able to use a Vmax cable but I am not able to tell you if that would work. Something like our GPS speedo setup eliminates the need for the cable anyway.

There are several tires to pick from up front. I prefer Metzler's but all of the brands will usually work well.

You already have a good braking system. I would just get HH pads. They will fit various suzuki models with the most common being the 99-07 Hayabusa. I stock them in the sintered and semi metallic if you wanted something less aggressive (if your brakes are too grabby). Double check and see if the rotors have a brand on them (like Galfer) then you could decide if you want to keep a matched brake pad to that brand (not needed if you aren't worried about a warranty which not being the original owner would not apply anyway).

You won't be able to easily adapt a speedo drive and fit those forks. If it's a version that did use a drive cable then you may be able to use a Vmax cable but I am not able to tell you if that would work. Something like our GPS speedo setup eliminates the need for the cable anyway.

There are several tires to pick from up front. I prefer Metzler's but all of the brands will usually work well.
Rotors are EBC VR3007BLK.
Ordered EBC HH sintered for 1992 gsx r1100 , hope it fits.
Do I install stainless steel brake line or no need?
It appears that the master cylinder currently installed is the same as the one included in this listing for 93-98 gsxr1100 brakes, so I guess I'm good regarding the cylinder.

I like the feel of a SS brake line, but it's not necessary, if your rubber ones are in good shape. The positive of the SS lines is they expand less under braking, resulting in a more-firm feel.

Latest posts

Back