Clutch help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartolucci

Reaction score
I've had my 97 Max for less than a year. The guy I bought it from said that it had a performance clutch in it (Barnett?). Recently the clutch has been slipping. I poked around the forum and read that the symptoms are typically worse in 5th gear (true for me). Also to try revving to 4k and pop the clutch to see if it stalls (it didn't). I'm using Rotella T oil and the bike has 16k miles on it. Just wondering how I should proceed. I've never messed with a clutch but I read that it isn't too difficult. I've also read about the double spring mod, but don't know if that's needed if I do have a performance clutch, or how to even tell what clutch is in the bike. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Hard to say what "performance" clutch you may have. It could be a set of barnett friction plates, it could be a barnett coil spring conversion, or both.

Check out this link, it will be helpful.
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

Most likely need a set of friction plates. The steel plates should be reuseable. Check thickness, if within spec they should be good. You should have them bead blasted, or at least throughly cleaned up with scotchbrite.

That usually takes care of the issue. You could always change out the oem diaphragm spring if it is weak (and if it is what you have) or install another for the DD mod. If you have a barnett coil spring conversion you could opt for heavy duty springs.

You need a 10mm socket to remove the right peg, and a 5mm allen key to remove the clutch cover bolts. It's really pretty straightforward. If the bike is on the side stand there is no need to drain the oil(all the oil runs to the other side of the case). Gently pry it off to break the old gasket. Seriously, scraping all the old gasket off is the longest part of a clutch job.

You won't really know until you pop the cover off and see what's in there.

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I'd rather be riding than taking it apart, but hopefully I can giter' done quickly!

Back