Debris/ shavings in oil!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinM

Reaction score
500 miles after changing my oil I had to drain it to replace the pickup coil. Noticed small gold shavings and a material that looks like sand. The gold shavings are either brass? or overheated steel. The other material looks just like sand, some dark pieces, some clear pieces.
My engine is making valve train noise and it has some noises near the oil pan. Its only got 17k miles on it, but it just doesn't sound right to me. the valve train noise isn't a tick, but more of just a "loose" sound. The oil pan noise just scares me.
Anyone help out? I am very familiar w/ engines but this is a bit odd... thanks.

Hate to say it but you may need an engine overhaul. May have spun a bearing..Pull oil pan and check

500 miles after changing my oil I had to drain it to replace the pickup coil. Noticed small gold shavings and a material that looks like sand. The gold shavings are either brass? or overheated steel. The other material looks just like sand, some dark pieces, some clear pieces.
My engine is making valve train noise and it has some noises near the oil pan. Its only got 17k miles on it, but it just doesn't sound right to me. the valve train noise isn't a tick, but more of just a "loose" sound. The oil pan noise just scares me.
Anyone help out? I am very familiar w/ engines but this is a bit odd... thanks.
It is very possible you have clutch shavings in the oil , Has the clutch felt different .? Have you changed the clutch ? Sometimes you can get a clutch basket noise at idle it sounds terrible sometimes but pretty common. But since you said brass looking shavings usually may indicate a lower bearing problem..This is the type of shavings I had in the oil pan on mine .The bearings are made of several metals the top layer is called babitt a mixture of nickle , bronze , brass some other things as well, below this material is brass,usually if you have brass it indicates a bearing issue though. some others here will have more advice on the issue as well .the shavings I had was 2 rod bearings spun, and several mains scored . hopefully not the case for you .Good Luck ,Jason

Thanks for the responses, I believe pulling the pan involves a serious amount of labor, but have never really looked into it. I'll drain the oil one more time, but that speed triple is calling my name...

Seems most of the noise is from under the clutch cover. Just had it off a month ago and everything looked great. Hmmm...

Pull the exhaust and then the oil pan. You can then inspect the pan well (and clean it) as well as gain access to the rods and see what they look like. You can even remove the oil pump assembly and pull the caps one at a time and check them.

Sean

Old topic, finally did it. The internals look great: pan, bearings, gears, etc... except that stupid o-ring. Can't check the main bearings though. What exactly does the clutch material look like? Thx.

Old topic, finally did it. The internals look great: pan, bearings, gears, etc... except that stupid o-ring. Can't check the main bearings though. What exactly does the clutch material look like? Thx.
IS THE "O" RING BLOWN OUT ?...:confused2:

Latest posts

Back