Exhaust cut outs??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jpvmax

Reaction score
I listened to a few Max's on you tube and with just the head pipe it sounds bad ass, but i never really saw a pic of what it looks like, do they just take the mufflers off and run it like that? also is this bad for the bike and would it have to be jetted to run better that way, now here was my idea and maybe someone elses, what about exhaust cut out like guys put on old cars to have loud pipe when you want and exhaust when you want, wondering if that would be possible to do on a Max cause they sound bad ass like that but for a trip or other times when not wanted a guy could run through the pipes, just throwing it out there i guess:ummm:

after i thought about i figured it was probably a dumb idea, also 40 people looked at it and havent said anything so thats a good sign, it sounded like a good idea at the time

You planning on doing it to your stock exhaust? Give it a whirl, I don't think it could hurt anything except maybe the neighbors ears! Engines are designed to run correctly with a certain amount of back pressure, so you might loose some HP. Are you going to put a diverter after the crossover, before the muffler?

I was just throwing it out there i had a brain fart the other night , my bikes in cold storage now so maybe in the spring have to look at it

It would be tough to do anything like this with the OEM pipes due to the double wall construction.

If you had a aftermarket system it would be easier, but not easy.

It would be cool to do a dual system. One side would be a typical 4-1 pipe with a nice, quiet muffler. Put the cutout before the can so when it operates it would close off the muffler and route exhaust to the other side of the bike through a straight pipe. It would take custom fab but would be unique.

Back