exhaust pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahmedoabbas

Reaction score
if i am correct there are 3 filters in each side of the exhaust pipe,,,

the question is whether it is safe to remove 2 of the 3 filters from each side to improve performance and create an eagle exhaust sound; loud and vulger-ish?

????? You can drill them. 5 holes around the rear but it will only make them louder, no better performance....

Not much point in trying to modify the standard exhaust much. It makes a better sound, for sure, but no more power.
The better mod I think is to take out the center restrictor, for the cool sound.

I have a cut view of the stock mufflers somewhere on here and our morleys muscle facebook photo albums. It's not going to be easy to get it gutted. As noted most simply drill some additional holes to gain more sound (you will not gain more power).

Sean

Order a set of Super Trapp slip ons and get the sound you want just shelve the stock exhaust unmolested

if i am correct there are 3 filters in each side of the exhaust pipe,,,

the question is whether it is safe to remove 2 of the 3 filters from each side to improve performance and create an eagle exhaust sound; loud and vulger-ish?

Welcome to the forum and the brotherhood. Check out the FAQ section :) Here are some excerpts

Did someone ask for a new-owner FAQ? ...

36. I want my bike to sound cool. What are my options?
If you're on a budget, and just desire the look/sound of aftermarket exhaust, there are several slip-on mufflers available. Any are fine, look on youtube for videos of sounds. Supertrapps are a popular slip-on choice, readily available, reasonable cost, and the "tunability" of Trapps with the disc system...can be as loud or quiet as you want. Avoid Cobras, they really kill power.

Slip-ons won't add any power, but you will lose probably 10-15lbs if not more of weight, the stock muffler is a brick. For full systems, expect to spend around a grand. Kerker, Holeshot, Marks, and Jardine are some of the more common systems. Again...personal taste should dictate. Sounds range from mild street baffles to wild open race cans. They are available in 4-1 and 4-2 styles.

exhaust and intake

• if you go with a full-up system mod, then:
    • consider matching the exhaust with a Stage 7 or Morley Muscle intake kit
    • decide if you want to keep the centerstand (some systems require its removal)
  • if you go with slip-ons: SuperTrapps are highly recommended and Cobras are frowned upon by the performance gurus)
  • hole mod, this is the cheapest of the exhaust mods. it'll make the bike a little bit louder, but at the cost of what some have described as making it "farty sounding".
    • one version entails drilling 5 holes into the ends of each muffler in a star-shaped pattern
    • another version is punching a 1" hole in a plate that is some 10" down inside each can
    • you can do either-or, or both

another good idea :)
(other topic) can you mention anything about improving brakes?
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=258085&postcount=4

Back