Exhaust wrap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk203

Reaction score
Anyone have exhaust wrap on their bike? I was considering it for my max would add to the old school hot rod look. The black wrap is badass looking so I'd probably go with it. I've read some pros and cons about exhaust wrap on bikes not sure if it would really do anything other than look cool on the max. What does everyone think?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.8 KB
Header wrap is no good, like Pickles said, it rots pipes

Me too, just a way of someone trying to cover up their crappy looking exhaust.

Kind of what I was going for, I don't like the pieced together look of my pipes. I guess its only a couple joints but I just dont like it. Maybe Ill look into new pipes. I don't wanna do anyhting thats going to rot them right off the bike.

Just my opinion, of course, but one way to make your bike look more bad ass would be to black out the wheels and dump the whitewalls. I know those are what makes your Max unique, but it is also what takes away from any bad ass look you might be going for, at least to my eyes...oh, I also am not a fan of pipe wraps.

Cant say I have ever done it on my Max but I was considering it.Performance wise it does you some favors in the form of better flowing exhaust and lowering your running temperature substantially.As for the pipe rot thing this is because headers wrap holds in water when you get it wet...wich on the package it says DO NOT GET WET and now I finally know why! There is a resin that is supposed to go with it that seals the wrap and makes it water proof,have any of you guys with pipe rot issues done this step as well? Just curious if I need to re-evaluate using this crap if its ganna eat my pipes.

We wrapped a bike header on a drag Fazer a few years back and took it off after a couple of years. It was getting nasty from oil and was unraveliing since it would get torn on any bump we drove over. One bump you hit and it's ate up and starting to go bad.

Maybe a bike you drag raced and hid in the trailer where you are trying to get the maximum flow this would be a good idea.

Here's a picture of the headers I did in our 70 LS6 chevelle back in 1988 when we restored it the first time. They ran like that for 4 years then sat for the next 17. We power washed them when we got the car going again last month and they cleaned right up. I have no idea what the insides look like but they aren't falling apart. Of course the car is kept indoors too.

Sean Morley

Attachments

• Chevelle Engine.jpg
    Chevelle Engine.jpg
    56.7 KB
JDK, Sean might have a point with the pipes being out of the weather. I have wrapped the rear down pipes on my bike. I first had my header coated with Jet Hot Coat. I think that is what they called it. Then I wrapped the rear down pipes only. I did this because I was concerned with heat build up. Because I have taken out the original heat sheild , due to the exhaust set up change. I personally cannot tell you how this wrap has affected my pipes because it is still in the building process. More than likely it won't see much water. Since I am a fair weather rider.. LOL

I wanna do the pipes on my Max but dont feel like pulling them out and having to buy new gaskets and bla bla bla...i might do it when I switch my cans.well see.

I believe the only way to believe how much headers wrap does is try it.It worked wonders on my last bike,I trust it enough to spend the $50 a roll to do it.

Latest posts

Back