Faux tank Yamaha logos

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
I'm repainting the bike and want to have the Yamaha logos back (bike came without them). Are the tank logos decals or are they plastic badges that have to be glued on? What do you guys recommend?

They are chrome plated plastic and include the 3M sticky tape already (If you got new). If you got used ones you can scrape off the old stuff and get some 3M molding tape (double sided) and put it on with that stuff. Most auto parts houses will have it.

Sean

A tip when putting stuff with double sided tape on is to use adhesion promoter, or a "kicker" with the tape. Word of warning with that is, once it's down, it's down and it won't come off!

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I'd rather do - buy decals or go OEM. I guess you could put the decals on the base coat and clear coat over the decals? I'll probably look into OEM; pricey little buggers...

YEA , I TOOK MINE OFF TO PUT ON MY CHECKERED FLAGS , AS IN MY AVTAR , MAN IT WAS TOUGH , EVEN SOAKING THEM WITH SOLVENT , I EVEN BROKE ONE !

I've got one of my Yamaha tuning fork badges from the faux tank on the back window of my truck; I don't know where the other one is.....

Yeah I took mine off too and I think I sent them to another Maxer but they may be in my drawer...:ummm:

I debadge everything I can. The Max only has the scoops to tell peeps who made it and I would love for those to be gone as well...:biglaugh:

It is best to use a stock tank cover as an example on where to place the badges. Mine came out great doing that but a friends are terrible. He didn't have an example and there are not angled right and looking down they are not in the same place. I used silicone sealant to re-attach the original badges. Wanted to be able to remove them without damaging my expensive paint job if needed. I originally removed them with waxed dental floss using a sawing motion. Fishing line is probably stronger though.

Yeah I took mine off too and I think I sent them to another Maxer but they may be in my drawer...:ummm:

I debadge everything I can. The Max only has the scoops to tell peeps who made it and I would love for those to be gone as well...:biglaugh:

Is this so you can surprise people who think they are up against a big slow cruiser?

I have "before" pics of my bike and it was practically ruined (in my opinion) when the PO painted everything a motley flat black. He puttied over the recessed Yamaha logos on the air scoops as well. Just not my thing, and consequently, has cost me hours and hours of time with paint stripper.

Is this so you can surprise people who think they are up against a big slow cruiser?

I have "before" pics of my bike and it was practically ruined (in my opinion) when the PO painted everything a motley flat black. He puttied over the recessed Yamaha logos on the air scoops as well. Just not my thing, and consequently, has cost me hours and hours of time with paint stripper.

As you can see in my gallery it's barren and to me it looks great! I actually highlighted the Yamaha in the scoops which looks a lot better...:biglaugh: I know, it goes against my theme...

I like the stealth look. When I get my G8 the billboard on the back will be cleaned as well... It says GT*****************Pontiac G8 along the back trunk lid and then has these goofy GM logos on the back of the front fenders...

I think I still have mine, I'll have to look tonight when I get home from work. First one who wants them can have them. Just PM me your address and I'll ssend them out.

I have the tank badges (badges? we don't need no stinking badges!) and the side cover "Vmax" logo's removed on Redbone. I have the "Vmax" logo on my bar ends(I probably will remove those though, a bit much now that have them on there) also on my radiator cover, and it is also machined into my givi airstars windshield support. I also have the tuning fork logos' on the swingarm covers.
I still like some brand recognition but just do not want it to look like everyone else's. :biglaugh:

I think it is funny that after people look to see what the hell sounds so good that then they see the big Yamaha in the scoops!

I also took the tuning fork emblems off of the faux cover.

It is best to use a stock tank cover as an example on where to place the badges. Mine came out great doing that but a friends are terrible. He didn't have an example and there are not angled right and looking down they are not in the same place. I used silicone sealant to re-attach the original badges. Wanted to be able to remove them without damaging my expensive paint job if needed. I originally removed them with waxed dental floss using a sawing motion. Fishing line is probably stronger though.

Hmm.... I'll probably have to have a fellow Maxer measure distances for me.

Tank Logo's are on ebay Item Number 180253058777

ebay seller is
108bikestuff

Not bad. Do the OEM ones look any different? My bike will have gloss black fenders and tank cover. These would look great but I'd like to know how the stock ones looked through the years. The '85 had a crimson-type paint job so I wonder how the badges look for the '85 in comparison to say the newer Maxes?

Not bad. Do the OEM ones look any different? My bike will have gloss black fenders and tank cover. These would look great but I'd like to know how the stock ones looked through the years. The '85 had a crimson-type paint job so I wonder how the badges look for the '85 in comparison to say the newer Maxes?

OEM ones are hard plastic and not that jelly type sticker. Those do tend to yellow a bit over time.

The stockers are all the same from year to year from what I've seen.

The Vmax logos have changed colors slightly.

Latest posts

Back