FL owner/riders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
Regarding the mixed fuel 'crisis'... you know...the crap with the ethanol in it?...

I have 'found' that if I use Chevron, almost exclusively, that I have little to zero problems that all the others seem to generate when used...

Chevron contains an additive called 'Techron'. For me at least, I find that whatever it is, it seems to overcome the problems associated with other blends... I also add in a shot of Marvel Mystery in most every tank-full, and that seems to help ease the wiping of cyl walls by adding a little 'top oil', and deterioration of O Rings, fuel lines etc, all caused by alcohol....

I 'discovered' it, when I bought a tankful one day, and the bike started running smoother and better with each mile...been using it ever since, with no reoccurring carb problems at all....

Take it FWI'sW, but try it and see if you get the same results...

Philthy

I think I just came up with my get-rich-quick idea.... we create a new fuel additive: Marvels Mystery Oil AND SeaFoam!!! Now we just need to come up with a catchy name....

Mystery Foam????

I have 'found' that if I use Chevron, almost exclusively, that I have little to zero problems that all the others seem to generate when used...

Chevron contains an additive called 'Techron'. For me at least, I find that whatever it is, it seems to overcome the problems associated with other blends... I also add in a shot of Marvel Mystery in most every tank-full, and that seems to help ease the wiping of cyl walls by adding a little 'top oil', and deterioration of O Rings, fuel lines etc, all caused by alcohol....
Philthy

interesting stuff, Phil! I've been filling up all over the place - when doing lots of miles you often don't get the choice - but will try Chevron more often to see if it makes a difference.

Having said that, my carbs are totally dismantled right now, so when I put it all back together I expect it to run like it's on steroids anyway! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

:hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked:

On saturday 1st november, at Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay (the BMW/Ducati stealers on Gunn Hwy) there's a sausage and pancake breakfast event starting at 8am followed by a ride - are you and possibly other local Vmax riders interested in catching up there? I may have to turn up on the TwinStar if Maxine isn't ready, but am always up for free breaky and a chance to see my friends!

http://www.bmwrides.com/event_calendar.asp?sid=09395258X10K29K2008J9I55I53JAMQ1507R0&date=11/29/2008

:clapping::punk::clapping::stir pot::clapping::th_favorites24::clapping:

I have been using Chevron's Techron fuel additive as my fuel system cleaner in my 4 wheelers for years. Some years back Consumer Reports named the best of the additives. Sam's and Costco sells it in a six-pack much cheaper than the auto parts stores.

I was adding seafoam to each tank when I first bought the bike, and it sure did seem to help. Everything was ok after I did the first a/f mix adjust, and carb sync...Then they pushed this damned ethanol on us here in FL, and it all went to shit again.... Did the shotgun, resynced, and it got better again.

I quit using the seafoam right away, after finding it's 99% alcohol, which to me is 'adding fuel to the fire'...so to speak... I don't have any idea what the hell 'techron' is, but it really seems to make a big difference in all 'round performance...on mine at least. The MMO is to help ease the damage that alcohol will eventually do...and it seems to work well too... All I can say is it starts quickly, hot or cold, and runs the way it should in traffic, and open road...

nG...weather permitting...count me in... Hopefully maybe we can get Rich to come too...

Philthy

Chevron was one of my regular stops along with RaceTracks. The first year I had my Max, I found on a tankful of Chevron, I only got 108 miles till my fuel light came on. Whereas other brands I was always getting 112 miles till the fuel light came on. I assumed techron was just a fancy name for ethanol with some cleaner added.
So I quit buying chevron all together and Always buy Racetrack when I can. Hess and BP are my second choices. And I've never had any fuel issues.

Haven't tried Chevron specifically to see how it runs, but I guess it's worth a shot. Was using Amsoil PI with every tank for a while , but since I got the carbs dialed in I've been running whatever pump gas with no issues. I hate the idea of alcohol/gas blends - maybe the cooler weather lately is making a difference. Don't know. What I do know is the ol' lady was in a mood tonight so I went by myself to the local watering hole ( where her girlfriend works ) & tipped a couple with her friend & now she is REALLY in a "mood". at least now she has a good reason :biglaugh: Don't know about Saturday bros - may be there with flying colors, or may be in the doghouse - time will tell - lots of stress in both our jobs this week - layoffs are coming - the good news is that Maxine is running AWESOME - maybe a singles pancake ride is just what I need ...

I just run Premium gas in mine. There's no ethanol in premium. its alittle more expensive, but better than Carb work.

I just run Premium gas in mine. There's no ethanol in premium. its alittle more expensive, but better than Carb work.

Are you sure about that? :ummm:

Here in FL, every every pump I've seen has the sticker 'contains 10% or less ethanol'

Those stickers are on 87, 89, 91, 93 - all pump grades.

Are you sure about that? :ummm:

Here in FL, every every pump I've seen has the sticker 'contains 10% or less ethanol'

Those stickers are on 87, 89, 91, 93 - all pump grades.

There ya go...seems each state has it's own 'rules'...that's why I 'addressed' it to FL riders... Here in FL we have no alternative choices... Now I guess I have to move to AR........ NAWwwww!!!! I'll deal with it!

Philthy

In Texas, the 10% ethanol gas is required in those areas that have pollution problems. I think that includes Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin. It makes a noticeable difference in performance, gas mileage and driveability.

I found one place in Fort Collins, CO that sells non-ethanol gas. It's a Co-op... maybe some other co-ops in other cities do that too. I've noticed about a 10% increase in my mileage on it.

I found one place in Fort Collins, CO that sells non-ethanol gas. It's a Co-op... maybe some other co-ops in other cities do that too. I've noticed about a 10% increase in my mileage on it.

Which brings me to wonder - since here in FL all grades of fuel are heavily diluted (I don't believe the less than or up to 10% stickers) do you guys think it would make sense to assume that 87 RON is now actually less than 87?

Therefore, would it not make sense to use the higher grades (91, 93) to compensate? :ummm::ummm:

Just thinking aloud, but I wouldn't mind paying 10 cents more per gallon if it meant that I got 120-ish miles from a tank instead of only 90 like I've been seeing..:confused2:

actually enthanol increases the octane. 10% is not new has been used in most of midwest for 10 years. dont believe all the hype it is not as bad as everyone makes out. most fuel problems can be traced back to just bad fuel with water and dirt in it. as for premium that is the worst to use! it has sat in the tank forever andlost all its volatiles. i work as a auto tech and everyone that comes in with fuel problems says " but i put in premium" :bang head:premium my ass just the price!:rofl_200:

good to hear a different POV Maxxman..

But I think I'll give each grade a tankful, since my I4 ride is pretty constant, I'll be able to easily see if it makes any difference at all in mpg - and that has to be the best indicator of efficiency!

Latest posts

Back