fork seals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djvmax07

Reaction score
Whats the odd of both fork seals leaking at the same time? I have a 2007 that i bought used and it has been lowered. shorter shocks and the front end was lowered down on the forks. Would this cause any problems with fork seals?

Only if it was lowered internally and the fluid amount wasn't changed.

Yes you can drain the forks. The correct amount can be measured from the top of the forks, with springs,spacers and washers removed. I made a fixture with a piece of 3/16 brake line in a small block of wood. A piece of tubing attaching the line to a syringe. I set my depth them suck the fluid out to the set level. Theline fits tight in the block of wood. Down load a shop manual for free here.
Also, search the threads, all the info is here.
Steve-o

What size of PVC is being used to tap in the Seals? Will other sizes work or is this pretty precise? Will any other material work such as and Aluminum pipe?

What size of PVC is being used to tap in the Seals? Will other sizes work or is this pretty precise? Will any other material work such as and Aluminum pipe?

Measure the id of the outer tube and the od of the inner tube...think I used some fitting like a coupling or 'T' and ground it down to fit.

Don't think aluminum would be good, too thin, might damage the seal.

I have always used a big socket to seat seals. I don't know if I have any big enough for my fork seals, however... I think my largest is a 38 MM.

I took my Forks to a local Honda dealership (the Yamaha dealer here is kind of a prick) and the mechanic lent me the proper size fork seal driver.
It took all of about 1-2 minutes to drive them in.
I tipped him $5 and went home and re-installed my forks.

I made a couple of halfs out of PVC that fit good. It's the grey thick conduit PVC. I then drive it home with a long schedule 40 tube. I like Dmans idea best. Borrowing the right tool.

I made a couple of halfs out of PVC that fit good. It's the grey thick conduit PVC. I then drive it home with a long schedule 40 tube. I like Dmans idea best. Borrowing the right tool.

I found some grey PVC coupler that I think will work. We have a couple of dealers in thethe area nd both told me they prefer not to work on my bike so I would rather not show up asking for favors. Thanks for all the ideas.

I installed fork seals and progressive springs this past Saturday. I had ordered fork dust wipers as well a seals but I did not get the dust wipers in time so I decided to reinstall the old dust wipers which looked like they were in good condition.

After riding, there is a slight haze on the forks from the seals. It is slight and to be honest, I really never paid that close attention on past bikes but because I did the installation, I am a little anal.

Is it normal to see where the seals travel on the forks or should it be spotless like the rest of the forks? Would new Dust Wipes make a difference?

I would say its normal to see where the seals travel, but if you want to see if oil is getting past the seals just pop the dust wipers up and take a look down into the fork tube. You can probably press the dust wipers back into place with your thumbs or tap them in with a blunt tool on the outer edge of seal/dust wiper.

I installed fork seals and progressive springs this past Saturday. I had ordered fork dust wipers as well a seals but I did not get the dust wipers in time so I decided to reinstall the old dust wipers which looked like they were in good condition.

After riding, there is a slight haze on the forks from the seals. It is slight and to be honest, I really never paid that close attention on past bikes but because I did the installation, I am a little anal.

Is it normal to see where the seals travel on the forks or should it be spotless like the rest of the forks? Would new Dust Wipes make a difference?

I would say its normal to see where the seals travel, but if you want to see if oil is getting past the seals just pop the dust wipers up and take a look down into the fork tube. You can probably press the dust wipers back into place with your thumbs or tap them in with a blunt tool on the outer edge of seal/dust wiper.

I'm w/Joe, I have always been able to hand-seat the dust seals.

Give it a little time (not long) for the seals to "set". If you continue to see the oil ring then you may need to check them again. There may be a defect on the tubes themselves you missed.

Give it a little time (not long) for the seals to "set". If you continue to see the oil ring then you may need to check them again. There may be a defect on the tubes themselves you missed.

I figured I would give it a couple of weeks, then pop off the dust wipers if it continues. There definitely is not an oil ring...just a slight haze. I just wasn't sure if the forks should be bone dry or if some trace of the fork seals is normal.

Latest posts

Back