Forks Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
My 85 has the original forks. I have read they put better forks on the max's over the years. Should I get my original rebuilt or should I look to get something different. I live in illinois and do not need anything crazy as there are only 4 turns in the whole dam state...

Also what are you guys paying to get forks rebuilt? Is it DIY job on the max or best left to the so called professionals...

I believe alot of the guys are using progressive springs with
emulators to upgrade the forks. I'm not sure if the newer
Vmax forks will swap without replacing other items. If ya
have money to burn you could go inverted. Check some of the
posts there is a lot of good info there.
Goodluck,
Chris

The forks got beefier in 1993. To use those on your '85 you will need both triple clamps as well. I'm not sure if early model brake rotors will work with those. Nice thing about new forks is you can use late model rotors and put R1 calipers ad a direct replacement...no adapters necessary. I have early model forks but put Racetech springs and emulators in. Man, big difference. Very little brake dive and front end is much more solid. Progressives are a good choice too.

Hey HD,..if your not lookin to go hot n heavy in the front,..the forks on a newer Max are slightly bigger....I think they changed them up in 94.
These and a new spring set from Progressive suspension,..add Emulators in the valving ,..and good oil. Some say a" fork brace"works , while others say "no noticed performance with the bigger brace".
Do't take my word for it ,.go to the Upgrades section in topics ,..there should be something posted .
I myself are going the inverted fork route,..I love the look , and I hope to ride a lil more aggressively.

Good luck,..ans keep it shiny side up!:punk:

Latest posts

Back