Front brake issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxrom

Reaction score
hy,
:bang head:appologise the language barrier:bang head:
Recently brouht 1986 Royal Venture

in stock configuration =
-The front brake master cylinder (handle one) activate front wheel right calliper.
-The front wheel left calliper is activated by the rear master cylinder (foot-lever one) as well as the rear wheel calliper (both meetered by proportional valve)

-I put a double banjo bolt on right calliper then past brake hose over the fender to the left calliper to have both front calliper activated by front master cylinder

-The question is
-Do the front master cyclinder is suitable to activate both front calliper (instead of one, in stock configuration)

IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE A FIRM HANDLE REACTION = ALWAYS SOFT, LIKE IF THERE IS AIR IN THE BRAKE-LINE. (and its realy good bleeded)
WHEN GOING BACK TO ONE CALLIPER BRAKE HANDLE COMES HARD `N`NICE

The reason that you have a 'soft' lever is because the cross section area (CSA) of the master cylinder piston is too small for the combined CSA of the pistons in two calipers.
The ratio between the two will be high therefore the master cylinder piston has to move further to displace sufficient fluid to move all eight pistons.
Half the number of pistons (i.e. connect one caliper) and it only has to displace half as much fluid to move the piston, the leverage ratio reduces and the feel improves.

So, to answer your question, no it isn't suitable, you would need to fit one with a larger diameter.

The reason that you have a 'soft' lever is because the cross section area (CSA) of the master cylinder piston is too small for the combined CSA of the pistons in two calipers.
The ratio between the two will be high therefore the master cylinder piston has to move further to displace sufficient fluid to move all eight pistons.
Half the number of pistons (i.e. connect one caliper) and it only has to displace half as much fluid to move the piston, the leverage ratio reduces and the feel improves.

So, to answer your question, no it isn't suitable, you would need to fit one with a larger diameter.

Thank you, realy clear answer:worthy:

Now, i`m going to Montreal on thuesday where i can find many things second hand in good condition (here in the snow-mobile & quad contry:damn angry:)

Would a Vmax master-cylinder do the job:ummm:

Or i`l try the find a 7/8" handle bar master-cylinder working on 8piston system:ummm:

Regards:punk:

Or i`l try the find a 7/8" handle bar master-cylinder working on 8piston system:ummm:

Regards:punk:

Thats what most of them do... But you did disconnect the line coming from the rear master to front left caliper right? Otherwise both the front and rear master are operating a total of 10 pistons. You didn't say anything of a dual banjo bolt on the left...

Thats what most of them do... But you did disconnect the line coming from the rear master to front left caliper right? Otherwise both the front and rear master are operating a total of 10 pistons. You didn't say anything of a dual banjo bolt on the left...

Thank`s for info:worthy:

I did not say much about it to keep the post short and clear of other considaration. (sometimes with my poor english; if i go to far, i loose my folks:bang head:)

I put a double banjo bolt on right caliper after disconect the rear calliper from the left one, then pass the joining brake hose over the fender.:eusa_dance:

The reason of all that is that i drive my Vmax and the Venture on a regular basis and i want the same break reaction on both bike. Specialy when panic stop occure.

And this winter that Venture will be naked-off to become the custom bike with a suspension good for riding my Lady. (no radio, no intercom, no CB, no windshild, NAKED)
Will try to have an awesome look with low budget.:biglaugh:

Back