Fuel Pump....again???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyg-5386

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I went on a 300 mile run today and the bike ran fine for 290 miles of it. Then it started bogging down and running like crap. When I got home I noticed a strong smell of gas and dark gray smoke from the right side exhaust. I parked the bike and then turned the key after it had been sitting for 30 minutes and the fuel pump clicked away for a few secs and then stopped. I then turned it off and on again and the pump still clicked for a good 5 secs. The fuel pump is now clicking everytime I turn the key. The pump is new (replaced less than a year ago) so its hard to believe the pump is bad again. The last time I replaced the pump was because it did not click at all and the bike left me stranded. I've read the thread regarding the innards of the fuel pump but is their anything else I can check before I dismantle an almost new fuel pump? I went through almost 3 tanks of gas today and added 2-3 ounces of seafoam at each fill up. The bike currently has a full tank of gas with no seafoam in it. Thanks.

If it keeps clicking every time you turn the key one of the diaphrams came out of place. I had it happen to me several times after a WOT run and shut down. It is vey simple to fix if that is the problem. Also check the gas tank vent, thats what was causing mine to be pulled out of place by the vacum created by the pump trying to pull fuel thru the gas line. Hope it helps :biglaugh:

It's possible you have a stuck float which won't let the bowls pressurize. That can also explain the raw fuel smell.

Sean

Try and tap the edges and not directly in the center.

Sean

Maybe you could try draining all the carbs and then run the pump until the pump shuts off like the bowls are full normaly. Possible apiece of dirt stuck in the needle and seat. :confused2:

I drained some of the gas out of the carbs and it looks very clean. I changed the fuel filter and checked the lines. I tapped the side of the carbs with a mallet to free the possibly stuck float. I put new plugs in. The right rear plug was gas fouled. The other three looked darkish but not too bad. The pump still clicks away and there is gas mist coming out of the exhaust and dripping from where the cans meet the pipe when the bike is running. There also seems to be gas leaking from somewhere in the middle of the bike but I can't see where it's coming from. The bike will hold an idle but runs poorly. If I gas it a bit I get whitish smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

I drained some of the gas out of the carbs and it looks very clean. I changed the fuel filter and checked the lines. I tapped the side of the carbs with a mallet to free the possibly stuck float. I put new plugs in. The right rear plug was gas fouled. The other three looked darkish but not too bad. The pump still clicks away and there is gas mist coming out of the exhaust and dripping from where the cans meet the pipe when the bike is running. There also seems to be gas leaking from somewhere in the middle of the bike but I can't see where it's coming from. The bike will hold an idle but runs poorly. If I gas it a bit I get whitish smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Hearing that you have gas leaking from the exhaust joints and the pump is running all the time really sounds like a stuck float to me. I know you said you tapped the carbs but maybe it needs a little more help.

might need to open them up for a cleaning or check for warn needle. wouldnt hurt to check the diaphragm in teh pump if thats ok id say open up the carbs

I don't know but mine was having almost the same issues. Keep spraying carb cleaner, pulling the plugs cleaning them etc. Started doing better. Then i pulled and checked out my plug wires. The two rears were not in very good shape on the ends. The front left had O wire in it an the front right was almost as bad. Changed them out an it made a huge differance. I know my carbs are still not quite right an is at me mechanic at the moment getting worked on. Also i had found that both rear carb to air box boot clamps were stripped so i changed them also. That my not be your problem but sounds close to the issues i was having. Hope you get it figured out cause it may be one of my problems.

It was a stuck float on the right front carb!!! I took off the top of the airbox and watched as the pump was cycling. At first all I saw was a few small bubbles in the front right carb but then I pointed my flashlight in there and saw the carb over-filling. I gave the carb a few raps on the side using a hammer and socket extension. I did not wail on it I just gave a few decent raps. I then disconnected the pump, ran the carbs dry and then reconnected the pump and watched the front right carb. It did not over-fill. It seems to be ok now and the pump does not run with every turn of the key. Thanks to everyone for responding so quickly. It is still running kinda crappy but I will take it out on the road and open it up a bit and hopefully it will improve.

good job, might happen again if there is crud in the tank. have you looked inside lately?

I spoke too soon. I just got back from a 50 mile ride. The bike was fine for most of the ride and then started bogging down again like it was getting too much gas. When I got home I waited an hour, removed the air box lid and turned the key to engage the fuel pump. It clicked as it should and I did not see the carb overflowing this time. I then turned the bike off and back on and the fuel pump did not click so I know the fuel pump is working normally now. So I guess there is still something wrong in the carbs. The inside of my tank is very clean.

Just curious is there any vacum build up in the tank right after the problem starts. try removing the gas cap to see if you hear any vacum noise when removed. Or try running the bike in the driveway without the fuel cap on. Possible fuel vent line clogged. :ummm:

Back