Gen 2 --- Asking for tires recommendations

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think no one has gone through as many tires on the Gen 2 as I have. Granted, I have a stock tire on the back of mine.

I have ran Metzlers, Shinkos, Dunlops, and Bridgestones. By and large, Shinkos were the worst, especially the front. Metzler seemed to be the best in terms of longevity. Dunlops best in grip though they lasted the shortest. I have yet to try Avon tires as no one appears to ever stock them when I am ordering. Currently, I am back to the Bridgestones on mine.

I dont think no one has gone through as many tires on the Gen 2 as I have. Granted, I have a stock tire on the back of mine.

I have ran Metzlers, Shinkos, Dunlops, and Bridgestones. By and large, Shinkos were the worst, especially the front. Metzler seemed to be the best in terms of longevity. Dunlops best in grip though they lasted the shortest. I have yet to try Avon tires as no one appears to ever stock them when I am ordering. Currently, I am back to the Bridgestones on mine.
Whats wrong with the Shinko?

Let me clarify that the problem is with the front tire, not the rear. I had 2 back to back front tires have very dangerous wobbles. The first one anything above 40, started with a vibration. Into 70mph territory, handlebars had a tank slap motion to them. After 500 miles, I contacted the company that sold me the tire and they sent me another one. The 2cd one was better, but not by much, I grunted that tire out for almost 1500 miles. The second time, the company told me that it must be installation error or improperly balanced. A Dunlop immediately after that cured every front end wobble and vibration that bike had.

For me, I should have known better. Cheap tires are cheap for a reason. And its one thing to be cheap on a car. Cheap on a bike was downright dangerous. I will never recommend a cheap chinko tire. There is no quality control to them. Dunlops are a few bucks more, sticky, not really a good touring tire but overall a good tire. Metzlers are good but pricey. I am back to the OEM tires of Bridgestone.

Now....I will also state.....my bike....loves eating front tires. I never had a bike with an appetite for front tires before. I will burn a front tire and the back will be halfway gone. With this revelation, any defect in the front tire, the front end of my bike will let me know. Some people will swear by those cheap tires. I do not. This is my 2 cents and you can do with it what you will.

I will also put an edit in.....When I first got the bike, the bikes suspension adjustments were all cranked full hard. I backed everything off to factory settings with the exception of the rear spring damping....I clicked it one more toward hard for 2 up riding.

I was just wondering. My experiences with Shinko, especially the front tire are not so bad. I can't feel wobble or something similar. They don't last long, this is the only thing, but I mainly ride highways, less twists and turns.

I was just wondering. My experiences with Shinko, especially the front tire are not so bad. I can't feel wobble or something similar. They don't last long, this is the only thing, but I mainly ride highways, less twists and turns.
My bike spends about 80% of the time on the interstates in my state. Thats also why I am over 50,000 miles on my bike. I am 40 miles from any which way to civilization and its all 70mph plus. Thats why I dont trust those Shinkos at all. It was the only time I ever hated the bike because of those tires. The bike was almost unrideable. For a few miles it was.

What tires are recommended for Gen 2 (has 240 rear). Thanks.
fuzzy in Okla City
Not familiar with the Gen2 but with my gen 1 I have good luck out of the Metzlers 888. I can get around 7,000 on a rear and 15.000 out of the front.

Hard to beat Metzler.

Had a panic stop situation with Avons...locked up the rear and slid for a long ways. The tire made a strange high pitched squeal. Went back to see how far I slid...and there were no marks on the road...none!
Tires came off the next day...too hard IMO.

I have had good luck with the Metzlers. I usually get about 6-7000 miles on the rear and usually around 15,000 on the front.

How do you guys get so many miles on your tires lol? I'm not even at 1000 miles and quit trying to count the number of rears on it.

Latest posts

Back