gen 2 tack

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgswss

Reaction score
I would love to have a nice big tack on my bike. I have looks at the big autometer tacks and the custom insterment panels on vendor sites. With these conversions starting at around $600, I can't help but wonder if one could get a tack from a gen 2 (like a wrecked bike) and adapt it to the gen1. With everything being electronic on the gen2s, I'm afraid that they wouldn't work no matter how you tried to adapt one.

http://www.stackltd.com/st700.html

I mounted one of these. They offer a few versions. I went with the "SR" trim. Wiring was surprisingly easy. Handles RPM, MPH, ODO, Trip, Voltmeter, 0-60 mph, 60-0 mph, 1/4 mile, and programmable shift light. In additon to that, it will handle two other funtions of your choice. I chose oil pressure and temperature. You could do others if you like.

The main reason for me picking this gauge is that it mounts in place of the stock speedo and looks like it belongs on the bike. It covers multiple functions so there is no need for 5 gauges hanging in the wind with a rats nest of wires in plain view. With exception of the speedo sensor, all wiring runs along the steering neck and is hidden behind the scoops.

Sean Morley is a Stack distributor.

I'd think something like that would be much simpler to rig up than trying to modify a gen2 tach to work. Sometimes on similar bikes the gauges may interchange, but the gen1 and gen2 have absolutely nothing in common beside name.

In retrospect I should have done one of those all-in-one units, I ended up with 3 other gauges "hanging in the wind" for temp, tach, and oil pressure. Though I liked the old school look of the analog speedo and kind of wanted to keep it.

There's also a Koso cluster that's semi-custom for the Vmax, comes with a mechanical-to-digital speedo adapter and I want to say a bracket to mount it also.

http://www.stackltd.com/st700.html

I mounted one of these. They offer a few versions. I went with the "SR" trim. Wiring was surprisingly easy. Handles RPM, MPH, ODO, Trip, Voltmeter, 0-60 mph, 60-0 mph, 1/4 mile. In additon to that, it will handle two other funtions of your choice. I chose oil pressure and temperature. You could do others if you like.

The main reason for me picking this gauge is that it mounts in place of the stock speedo and looks like it belongs on the bike. It covers multiple functions so there is no need for 5 gauges hanging in the wind with a rats nest of wires in plain view. With exception of the speedo sensor, all wiring runs along the steering neck and is hidden behind the scoops.

WoW! this sounds like just the thing. can you see both speed and trip gauge at the same time?

Do you have to mount something on the wheel and a sensor to pick it up for speedo/trip?

Can you set the shift lights for different rpms?

This is a great suggestion- Thanks!

Craig

WoW! this sounds like just the thing. can you see both speed and trip gauge at the same time?

Do you have to mount something on the wheel and a sensor to pick it up for speedo/trip?

Can you set the shift lights for different rpms?

This is a great suggestion- Thanks!

Craig

The digital display has "layers". MPH and ODO is the default layer. Hit one button and you can view MPH and Trip if desired. There are other layers that can be viewed by hitting a button (added functions like oil p and temp, volts, etc) While riding around you get different pop ups and it will give a glimpse of all functions once in a while but will go back to MPH. You do need to mount two buttons to operate the unit. The buttons are not accessed much at all while riding though. I mounted one button in each of the plastic neck covers that sit by the scoops.

You need to mount a sensor that is aimed at a "target" to measure wheel speed. My target was rotor bolts. You can mount a target if you'd like but the rotor bolts work fine.

The shift light function is very versatile. You can set up the lights to blink in quite a few different ways. RPM is selected in increments of 50 IIRC.

You can set alarm points for different functions and base them on rpm windows also. Its a neat gadget, seems to be quality built (sealed and supposedly weatherproof with a full metal casing) nice connectors, etc. Only part I don't like about it was the price!

http://www.gtechpro.com/egs.html

I think this tach/speedo was the one Sean had installed on his bike this year @ Eureka Springs. If so, it is awesome. Size & functions were nice. Programmable shift light. 7 or 8 color background lighting to choose from, etc...........................I couldn't believe how nice it looked, and I'm a 100% STOCK kind of guy - Mod Monkey don't own me, nor even allowed to visit my garage often.

Back