Generic fuel filter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one from O'reileys that will fit 1/4" or 3/8 ", It is made of clear plastic and was in the lawnmower section.

We use the Mr Gasket or Holley clear glass filters with replaceable element. $10-$12 or so (and elements are cheaper later). About any auto parts store. One of the brands comes in the size (3/8") and the other has 3 different fitting sizes to chose from (you need 3/8").

Sean

We use the Mr Gasket or Holley clear glass filters with replaceable element. $10-$12 or so (and elements are cheaper later). About any auto parts store. One of the brands comes in the size (3/8") and the other has 3 different fitting sizes to chose from (you need 3/8").

Sean

+1 on the Mr Gasket clear....it's nice to be able to see the element, check for possible evil spirits.

I use the OEM filter. I would thing the paper type does a better job at filtering the fuel than a metal screen?

Are you saying OEM has nothing but a metal sceen in it ? If thats the case no wonder their is always micro crap in our carbs. I just changed my fuel filter for the fist time since the bike was new (26 yrs ago) with Oreiley's clear plastic filter ,one that I could see thru (paper element). The price was cheap enough to where I can now change it every year without going to the loan officer at the bank. Im sure MG and Holley are better but I did not know about them when I changed filters.

no i believe the oem one is paper?

i use oem.

Are you saying OEM has nothing but a metal sceen in it ? If thats the case no wonder their is always micro crap in our carbs. I just changed my fuel filter for the fist time since the bike was new (26 yrs ago) with Oreiley's clear plastic filter ,one that I could see thru (paper element). The price was cheap enough to where I can now change it every year without going to the loan officer at the bank. Im sure MG and Holley are better but I did not know about them when I changed filters.

What I'm trying to say is that I prefer the paper type filters. The oem one is paper. The clear plastic ones I have seen had a metal screen that was used as the filter. I would not want to use one of those. If the clear cheap ones can be bought with a replaceable, paper element I think that would be a great option. I just have not seen one around here.

The OEM one is paper, at least the one I cut apart to see if anything was in it. The Mr. Gasket clear unit (w/ 3 different sizes of hose adapters) I bought has the vinyl mesh screen in it and when I changed it this spring I found some had white crap in it. I may look at adding aother paper filter downstream, but that may just be overkill. :confused2:

Two filters would be better but may put a strain on the fuel pump, unless you put one of them on the outlet side of pump.

i may be old fashioned but yamaha probably put it there b/c it worked yea?

The aftermarket works just fine. Not sure what the micron rating is but it catches a good amount of crap.

Sean

Latest posts

Back