GPS speedo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Anyone have a unit installed. Wondering about the receiver and how/where to mount it that won't look too obtrusive. Can it be mounted behind the headlight or on top of the triples? I'm lookin at the Autometer one but anyone know of others with perhaps multi functions and that is shaped like a regular speedo?

The only problem I have with a GPS-based Speedo, is that it didn't work when I through Boston. GPS doesn't like tunnels very much. :ummm:

My speedo isn't working for me lately, either.

oldies_speedo.jpg

:confused2:

Depending on why you want a GPS based speedo in the first place have you considered any of the aftermarket speedo/tach units? I am looking at a few myself after installing 18" wheels/radials so I can regain an accurate mph reading. Most also have a tach/shift light up where it belongs as well as digital readouts for just about everything else, if you want to hook it all up.

The biggest problem i've seen is mounting, as they don't seem to have any bracket systems specifically for a VMax. Of course a GPS unit would suffer the same problem but something can always be made and or modified.

Stor

My main reason for wanting to switch to GPS is that I currently have an Autometer speedo that runs off a magnetic sensor on the rear brake rotor. At higher speeds the needle really bounces around (I think due to increased vibration) and is very difficult to ascertain an accurate speed...it gets real annoying. I'm under the assumption that GPS will not be affected by vibration..I did find a Nordskog unit i may get..only one i've seen so far..i would rather get a combo unit like you mention but I will probably run into the same problem unless there is a combo unit that has a similar GPS set up. If there is an alternative i'm all ears

I would have thought that pretty much all GPS navigation systems include a speedometer function? You could just get any GPS unit made to be mounted on a motorbike (weatherproof) and you should be good - it also doesn't get any more accurate than than in terms of speed metering..

Stor

My main reason for wanting to switch to GPS is that I currently have an Autometer speedo that runs off a magnetic sensor on the rear brake rotor. At higher speeds the needle really bounces around (I think due to increased vibration) and is very difficult to ascertain an accurate speed...it gets real annoying. I'm under the assumption that GPS will not be affected by vibration..I did find a Nordskog unit i may get..only one i've seen so far..i would rather get a combo unit like you mention but I will probably run into the same problem unless there is a combo unit that has a similar GPS set up. If there is an alternative i'm all ears

Thats a good reason to want to go GPS. I haven't yet tried the magnetic sensor setup used by most aftermarket speedos but I'm hoping they don't normally exhibit the symptoms you had with yours.

I have a Lowrance xog (there weather proof to IPX4 standards ) mounted to a chrome ram mount (handle bar mount ) I dont use it for the speedo but could, I use it for the sd card mp3 player and of course the gps. And its nice that you can just take it off and throw it in your pocket when not in use

I'm looking for a speedo in a gauge pod format with analog needle not the square/rectangular map/speed type...I realize this limits my choices..only other question i have is does the antennae read through metal? I want to put it under the fake tank cover (ideally) or under the tail fender (next choice). If not i could mount it next to my side mount license plate..but i won't like the look.

PS also looking at the Revolution tachs..I talked to them and the sales guy said someone with a max bought one..anyone on here get it?

Latest posts

Back