Greets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxuk

Reaction score
Rite ...hi all new to the site ,which is great....had 97 max for a month or so,had full service ,valve shims the whole shabang......
Probs started few days ago ...
Battery -only getting 3 or 4 starts then not enough juice to turn over ....optimizer says strong battery on maintainance?...rectifier/regulator??

Real rough idle,low speed probs/stuttering acceleration

overheating.....stalls at lights ,rad fan not working ...the fuse was ok......

Ive just invested in haynes manual,so im gonna have go with more tech stuff,im pretty much a novice mechanically ,paintwork is more my thing ....most of these probs with the max seem common after reading some of the posts,with some good carb/fuel troubleshooting on offer ..

Any info/thoughts to my probs would be great....in the meantime ill keep reading....

Cheers

Welcome,

I am new as well and have found this forum to be very informative with folks that are willing to go that extra mile to get you up and running. I have no maintenance issue at present; however, I also joined a local Vmax club in my area and they also offer great advice with hands on tech assistance as well.

Good luck and ride safe...

Cheers bud.......looks like ill be paying a trip the garage again ,let them sort it out,......the cheaper the better ,this vmax lark is proving to be expensive....:bang head:

Sounds like your 97 may have been sItting some before you got it. My 94 looks immaculate but since I bought it things have gone wrong here and there. took some time to sort through issues one after another. Now she runs fine....

Good Luck, This is the place with the experts. If anyplace can assist you this is it...

Dave

PS: Welcome to the VMF.

Rite ...hi all new to the site ,which is great....had 97 max for a month or so,had full service ,valve shims the whole shabang......
Welcome! You just hit the jackpot - you'll get more answers here than in the Haynes Book of Lies (ok it's not that bad but that's a funny name, innit?)

Probs started few days ago ...
Battery -only getting 3 or 4 starts then not enough juice to turn over ....optimizer says strong battery on maintainance?...rectifier/regulator??

Batteries die. Always. That's most prolly the #1 culprit. A new battery is your best bet. BUT: also check your charging system. You should be getting close to 13V across the battery terminals at idle, and a bit more when revving.
If not, first make sure the 'crimp fix' has been done. (Do a search here - full info will come up). Then also check your R/R - older types do fry, and connecting the + and - directly to the battery also helps. Most of the time, the negative connection is shite, because it's made through the frame via one of the R/R's mounting bolts, and they invariably get corroded. Remove your LH pillion peg mount to check it - the R/R's behind it.

Real rough idle,low speed probs/stuttering acceleration

Again use the search function - you want to do the 'shotgun' and maybe also the 'peashooter', both simple cleaning methods that will help get old gunk outa your carbs and fix the symptoms you're experiencing.
Also paramount to good running is to sync your carbs, a 5mns job but you will need a vacuum gauge like a CarbTune or something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0447391101&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

overheating.....stalls at lights ,rad fan not working ...the fuse was ok......
check that your fan works - simply apply 12V directly to its connector (found under left scoop/left electrical panel). Check and clean connections there and also at the coolant temp switch (under right scoop)

Ive just invested in haynes manual,so im gonna have go with more tech stuff,im pretty much a novice mechanically ,paintwork is more my thing ....most of these probs with the max seem common after reading some of the posts,with some good carb/fuel troubleshooting on offer ..

Any info/thoughts to my probs would be great....in the meantime ill keep reading....

Cheers

everything you need's here to be found. Ask for any specifics and someone will know the answer. Good luck!!

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas,...im sure ill find my way with this site ,gonna have to get to grips with the max ........best bike ive owned,f**kin awesome when its running smooth,just doing paintjob,well that is when i get the pain in arse front mudguard off................thanks again:punk:

Latest posts

Back