Has any one tried this

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I broke 3 for 3 trying to get them apart so gave up trying. haven't tried to install the rubbers with the screwdriver method described when getting the new rubbers. The new rubbers are not nearly as supple and not sure what effect it has on the overall performance.

Sean

I did 4 this spring after finding 2 ripping, and so far so good. I didn't take the slides apart though; I herd too many horror stories of broken parts. Install wasn?t bad. I used lots of CRC to slip them in. There was a tutorial on e-bay and maybe on the forum too.
Like Sean mentioned, the rubbers are thicker and not as supple. I believe the stockers moved easier off idle, from observing them in action with the air box lid off. I'm thinking softer springs helped compensate for this. Drilling out the vacuum hole in the slides also might help some. My bike runs well though.
I paid about $120 shipped. I'd rather have new OEM's and that's what I normally do, but moneys tight this year.

Steve-0

Cool, slipping them on and please elaborate alorio, on your method.... :worthy:

Cool, slipping them on and please elaborate alorio, on your method.... :worthy:
I sent a complete write up, pics as well, and sent it to sdt354. I will have to see if he saved the info and send it back to me. I had to replace the hard drive on the computer I had the info on and was unable to save any info. Hopefully he will have it.

sdt354 had a CPU failure also so he lost his info as well. The only difference in my method and the Youtube vid is I soak slides fully submerged in WD 40 overnight to loosen glue. Then instead of using a screwdriver to knock slide loose from diaph. holder, I use a deep well 3/8 drive socket with a 6 inch extension attached to socket to drive the slide loose from diaphragm holder instead of a screwdriver which is where most people's failure comes into play. When using a deep well socket inserted into slide, you get even forces 360 degrees around the slide instead of just a sharp screwdriver which will inevitably break the brittle slide component. I don't remove needle from slide because using a deep well socket fits over the screw (needle holder assy) inside the slide. I also use a metal pipe, which happened to be the top rail of a chain link fence I took down and cut off about 6 inches of pipe that I insert slide into while I drive slide away from diaphragm holder. The bottom of pipe is stuffed with a single paper towel to soften the fall when the slide drops from diaphragm holder. I use a very small hammer to tap slide loose from holder, usually with a couple of small taps you can see a gap between slide and washers and the rest can be done by hand to finish disassemble. After disassembly I take the aluminum holder to the bench wheel and clean glue residue with wire brush side of grinder, you can also use a piece of fine sand paper to clean glue reside off. After you get holder clean the use a fine piece of sand paper to clean residue from inside the slide, ideally you want to be able to push holder into slide with very little resistance. Reassemble slide and new diaphragm making sure washers are all facing the right direction. Use oil or petroleum resistant glue of your choice to reassemble. I use Devron metal filler glue which dries in 45 seconds so I have to work fast to have everything in place fast. After applying glue (to aluminum holder only) I insert the holder into slide by hand, making sure it is going in square and not the least bit crooked. I then place slide on a solid flat wooden surface and with the same deep well socket I used on disassembly I place it on the bottom side of the slide and give it a couple of small taps to tighten up washers around newly installed diaphragm. I then use a small screw driver to clean away any glue residue that may have oozed out. If I had pics I would post them, but unfortunately Steve and I both lost the info with a CPU crash.

joe, u da man! :worthy: now that you've posted your technique in the forum, your ingenuity will forever be! :clapping:hehehe
ADMINS, IMHO alorio1's post needs to be stickied somehow, not necessarily the thread, cuz alorio's post is so far down from the OP, know what i mean?

I found my write up with pics on another computer I have. I made a HOW TO and posted it in the HOW TO section.

Back