Having clutch problems with my 86...help??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my-86

Reaction score
Recently I started noticing that when I snap the throttle in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at around 4k rpm and up, it feels like the clutch is not grabbing. It sounds like the rear tire is lighting up, but that's not happening. When I crack the throttle, the revs jump up but the bike doesn't take off. The revs then come down slightly and then it seems normal. Like on a dirt-bike, when you snap the throttle, the rear tire takes off spinning and the revs jump way up, and then the tire hooks up and the revs come back down. I hope this description is somewhat accurate. Any help? If this is the clutch, how easy or difficult is it to replace?? I am somewhat mechanically inclined and am not totally afraid to tackle the job, but I'm in need of some outside input.

Clutch is very easy to replace. Maybe an hour if you milk it. Sounds like you could benefit from a DD conversion along with the new clutch and bead blasted steel plates. We can supply everything you need if interested. You can check the clutch first by checking it in fifth gear. That gear will show a weak clutch before any of the other gears will.

Sean

I have seen this mentioned a few times, what is the DD conversion and what does it consist of?

From what i can understand is that your bike when you turn the throttle rises the rpm rapidly but your rear wheel dont spin . You need to replace your clutch disc's. Hope i helped.

Aloha
To my-86....I have a 93 max & my clutch was just like yours sounds. I changed my clutch & got rid of the springs & half disc in the clutch boss. If you have the old shift segmemt I would change that as well since you have it apart. The DD mod is 2 springs on the pressure plate. I got all of my parts from Sean Morley One2dmax...he is a GREAT guy to work with & just a all around GREAT guy!!!!! He knows the max inside & out. After I did these things to my max it runs better than ever, you will see that your clutch has been slipping for ever! This is just my 2 cents worth.

make sure your bike is warmed up too, that might have something to do with it

have you recently changed you oil, using car oil with the friction reducers in it? that can cause clutch slippage. made mine feel worn out until i changed to a motorcycle oil.

Just wondering if you haver old Max I bought new in 86 in Dayton and sold it to my brother in Elyria. Dark maroon supertrap stainless slip ons, two blue dots in the taillight? Might even have the VIN around. 06Maximus was asking if your Avon Ohio. Hey Maximus, do know anything about Gary Haynes Vmaxer from Amherst? Dropped off face of the earth. Alloutracing was his business. Let me know if you know anything. Patmax

Putting this on my to-do list for this winter . Something to do while the fenders and tank cover are out being painted...:punk:

WOW, didn't expect to get so many helpful responses! A big thank you to all you guys! It's definitely not an oil problem (car oil, synthetic). I think that the fact that it has almost 60K miles on it, it probably is due for a clutch change/upgrade. The DD sounds interesting, and the link is awesome. Thanks again, guys. I'm new to this site and this was my first post. I've got a real good feeling about this forum!

Latest posts

Back