Help. Diagnosing problem carb?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabit1

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all. I want to thank you to this forum members. You guys have been a lot of help. But I appreciate some more help.

Here's what I got: Gen 1 vmax with aftermarket exhaust. Everything else is stock.

I've been having problem with my cyl no 3. At first I thought it was electrical, but I wasn't really sure. I've replaced plug, move coils around and replaces HT and plug caps with new ones. But problem persists.

My cyl no 3 seems to heat up slower than other cylinders. Left exhaust is also weaker than right exhaust. I notice that the sound from left exhaust is very different from the right. The left one sounds and feels softer.

But the most noticeable problem is the plug on cyl no 3. The plug is always black. Here's a new plug (ALWAYS) looks like after only 20 minutes ride.

8CIRJQkRtBbPQAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

I'm no expert mechanic, but I thought that looks like a too rich conditions. ( I could be totally wrong. Could it be valve/oil problem?, what do you think guys?)

So I tried to turn the AF screw in on carb #3. But even after setting the screw all the way to 1/2 turn out only, the plug still look the same. Also turning the screw doesn't seem to have an effect on the engine and the plug.

So after reading this forum, I decided to do the both the shotgun and pea shooter method, which I did. The pilot screw indeed looks dirty and the spring seems a bit rusted, but since I have no replacement part, I just clean em and did the shotgun then put it back in. ( I don't have the confidence and the skill to take the carb apart and clean it and I haven't find any mechanic in my area that knows vmax well.)

But after the shotgun, the only improvement I notice is that the bike seems to run better/smoother and the cylinder heats up a little faster (but still a bit slower compared to others and left exhaust still feel softer). Turning the AF screw still doesn't seem to have any effect (I could be wrong here again, as I don't really have the expertise).

The plug, however, still comes out black like the picture after each test ride.

But the bike runs well especially on higher rpm.

So what do you think guys, any advice?

Thank you,
Regards,

Attachments

• PlugsWP_003675.jpg
    PlugsWP_003675.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2
Back