hoisting the Vmax from the rafters?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Has anyone done this with a Vmax? Im wondering where to strap the back? The front is easy, around the forks and triple tree. But the back Im not sure. I dont think I would trust the grab bar. Remove the seat and go around the frame over the tank?:confused2:

The grab bar is very strong actually. BUT, the rear frame extensions (that the bar bolts on to) are not very strong.

Sean

If you hang it, it won't be very stable.

The ceiling in my garage is 8' and the bottom of the steel beam is probably 7'. So the bike would have very short cable/ chain / strap between it and the beam holding it up. I dought a 600 lb machine would swing very much so close to its lift point.

But instead of winching it up. I think a better method would be lift it with one of these..
http://www.google.com/products/cata...XhIanawAXtnpmnBQ&sa=title&ved=0CCkQ8wIwBTgA#p

And then strap on from the beam and lower the lift a touch to tighten the straps. Or pull the jack out completely.

My 2 car garage has limited space.

Will a kerker header support the bike on one of those lifts?

Yep, haven't found an exhaust yet that would not support the weight of the bike.

Sean

Hey Rebar, someone already mentioned that this is not stable. Sure you can sling it up no problem but when you starting working on the bike, you soon find you are chasing the bike around and you cannot really torque anything without doing the pendulum thing. Now one could try to leave some weight on the tires but then what are you gaining? I have no centerstand which is why I slung mine from above. It just doesn't work out well. Cheap man way is getting the bike onto a big wooden spool used for cable and set bike on a milk crate with a plywood top. It's the right height and has room for tools and parts below. one could build a 2x4 support and screw it right to the spool instead of the milk crate. Usually can get them free and can be burned in a campfire afterward. Drawback is it takes up space.

The ceiling in my garage is 8' and the bottom of the steel beam is probably 7'. So the bike would have very short cable/ chain / strap between it and the beam holding it up. I dought a 600 lb machine would swing very much so close to its lift point.

But instead of winching it up. I think a better method would be lift it with one of these..
http://www.google.com/products/cata...XhIanawAXtnpmnBQ&sa=title&ved=0CCkQ8wIwBTgA#p

And then strap on from the beam and lower the lift a touch to tighten the straps. Or pull the jack out completely.

My 2 car garage has limited space.

Will a kerker header support the bike on one of those lifts?

Rebar, How high are you planning on lifting it? It sounds like you are planning on lifting it high enough to park a car under, correct? Or are you just lifting it to get the tires off the ground so you can work on it?

I dought a 600 lb machine would swing very much so close to its lift point.

You would be amaized on how easily something heavy would swing once hoisted.
If your lifting it to work on it, IMO your better off with the lift. I picked one up at sears for under $100 and couldn't be happier with it.
The pipes are more than strong enough to hold the bike.

If your lifting your bike to make more room, check out this puppy for $1900
http://www.directlift.com/Pro-Park-8S-Standard-Four-Post-Lift-P44C9.aspx

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.4 KB
  • P1030088.jpg
    P1030088.jpg
    74.6 KB
Hey Rebar, someone already mentioned that this is not stable.

Thanks for the heads up. Crazy Idea. Just trying to save space. And my knees.

Rebar, How high are you planning on lifting it? It sounds like you are planning on lifting it high enough to park a car under, correct? Or are you just lifting it to get the tires off the ground so you can work on it?

No just high enough to work comfortably. But I dont think I want a 7" high lift table in the way.

I have access to pneumatic actuators. I think they extend 18":confused2:

Make you own table rebar....few 2x4's a sheet of 3/4 plywood and use the actuators....go the 18", tie off to the rafters, then go another 18"....and so on.

The tough part is lifting the table, with the actuators you're already there.

Rebar, How high are you planning on lifting it? Or are you just lifting it to get the tires off the ground so you can work on it?

Its high and then some . And's it up as we speak. No worries...

Yes it swings a bit. No problem.. I spend most of my time polishing..

I might install a 3/8's anchor and eye-bolt under the bike to stabilize if the stability suffers while wrenchin

Attachments

• vmaxlift 001.jpg
    vmaxlift 001.jpg
    123.2 KB
  • vmaxlift 012.jpg
    vmaxlift 012.jpg
    65.7 KB
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back