Hope I'm doing the right thing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
I was thinking about a supercharged engine, then a turbo motor. So then I thought, why not a twin turbo engine ( a couple of you were already in the loop)

I've already bought two turbos, that will be set up for 5lbs of boost. I just bought 2 blow off valves and a pipe kit to make the exhaust. I'll get the other things later on this fall and winter. Its going to be a low boost setup probably not going to produce more than 170rwhp.

I'm just going for the wow factor at the car shows. So my question is: Both turbos up front (one on each side of the engine) or one up front, and the other in the back, (battery box and batt will be relocated under the tail section.)

If both turbos are up front one would be for right cylinders and other for left right? If both are up front would cooling be better? If a turbo is hidden in the rear I wonder how hot it would get.

If you are going for WOW, you need to put them both up front where they can be seen. Just my $.02.

Need to mount them in the center on the sides.

Sean

I've always liked the look of a supercharger being fed by a turbo. For wow you could inject nitrous into the intake vanes of the turbo to cut down lag time. Of course that's what the supercharger's for. It wouldn't be very practical but it would look cool.

Other then looks there is no performance benefit from it. We were going to do one probably 15 years ago using the Turbo's from my old Yamaha (Seca Turbo). Never did get around to it though.

Sean

Exactly, no extra performance. just bling factor. I'm just going for somthing you don't see everyday up here.

satariel666, I'm just going to have one turbo feed the front and one feed the back. There is a similar setup in the Turbo, Supercharging, Nitrous book thats been out there a while. Cept his is making over 250hp, but his second turbo is in the back where the battery used to be.

I had a twin setup for my XS11 about 17 years ago. one fed cyls 1 and 3, the other 2 and 4. Lack of spare cash slowed that project up, so I just stayed with the nitrous motor.

You could combine them into one blow though chamber which should even up the power pulses.

You could combine them into one blow though chamber which should even up the power pulses.

That's what I'm thinking. I was checking out seom twined Harleys and even the cars. that's one thing that is in common. Both snails come off each bank and feed a common chamber, I'm thinking the tuning would be easier this way as well.

satariel666, I'm just going to have one turbo feed the front and one feed the back. There is a similar setup in the Turbo, Supercharging, Nitrous book thats been out there a while. Cept his is making over 250hp, but his second turbo is in the back where the battery used to be.

That would be Parrel turbo so called Twinturbo.
Some use to claim that setup provides some benefits like:
-less inertial torque forces and by that, quicker rpm response on turbo
and better throttle response.
-peak torque comes much quicker

You may try to play with BITURBO setup which can be deadly intersting and I assume one of the most chalanges in Your life :)

If you enclose the entire rack then you won't have to worry about throttle shaft seal issues and one of the biggest issues would be blowing the airbox or boost box off the top of the carbs since they are smooth surfaces (ran into that exact problem on my old seca turbo). We might be able to chuck up on the carb bodies and cut a locking grove into them like the bottom of the carb has. Then a good connecting joint would hold.

Sean

Anyone know where to find some info on how to tune a drawthru turbo setup? I've seen books on how to pick components and build the setup but never really found anything on how to get it tuned properly.

Back