How much for a '79 XS1100?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend of mine sell his 1979 XS1100. It's got 12,000 miles on it. The carbs have just been completely overhauled, and the bike runs great now. His wife bought him a brand new Harley Rocker C for his birthday (if only I could convince mine to buy me a new Vmax for MY birthday.....damn).

What would be a fair asking price? He was wanting $1700, but part of me thinks that might be a bit high. I know there are some XS gurus around here....someone has to have some knowledge on it!

Attachments

• yamaha.jpg
    yamaha.jpg
    10.2 KB
  • 2yamaha.jpg
    2yamaha.jpg
    10.2 KB
I'm trying to help a friend of mine sell his 1979 XS1100. It's got 12,000 miles on it. The carbs have just been completely overhauled, and the bike runs great now. His wife bought him a brand new Harley Rocker C for his birthday (if only I could convince mine to buy me a new Vmax for MY birthday.....damn).

What would be a fair asking price? He was wanting $1700, but part of me thinks that might be a bit high. I know there are some XS gurus around here....someone has to have some knowledge on it!

The picture is pretty small, but if it's as cleen as it looks and runs well $1700 is a good price. Providing the trans is in good shape. The XS was notorious for second gear issues as well.

Yeah, I already complained to them for having crappy pictures. They shrunk them to be able to post it online, and forgot to save the pics in the original size.

do a global craigslist search see what they are asking for and do a completed listings in ebay

do a completed listings in ebay

I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. I've done that on 3 different vehicles of mine when I was selling them, and the completed listings on eBay were always WAY lowballed compared to what the items really could sell for.

Yeah, I already complained to them for having crappy pictures. They shrunk them to be able to post it online, and forgot to save the pics in the original size.

Take new pics... People will thing they're trying to hide something...

I can't tell because of the small pics, but is this by chance an XS1100 SPECIAL? The tank looks a bit different than the '79 I had.

I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. I've done that on 3 different vehicles of mine when I was selling them, and the completed listings on eBay were always WAY lowballed compared to what the items really could sell for.

true but it at least gives u a starting point...

Take new pics... People will thing they're trying to hide something...

def. use image shack to list high-res pics in the Craigslist ad, that def grabs attention

I bought an 82 XS1100 in 1992 for 800.00. It only had 16,000 miles on it. Sold it a year later for 800.00. I did get 1000 for my 81 Suzuki GS750L last summer after I bought the Max. Gas was over $4 a gallon at the time and 35 mpg looked mighty good to alot of folks.
Good luck.

TWO THINGS , IF HIS WIFE BOUGHT HIM A HARLEY , SHE MUST NOT REALLY LOVE HIM ! SECOND THING , HE MAY WANT TO KEEP THE XS1100 , WHEN HE GETS TIERED OF THE HARLEY BREAKING DOWN , HE'LL NEED SOMETHING TO RIDE , SO HE'LL BE GLAD THAT HE KEPT IT ! "LOL":rofl_200::punk:

TWO THINGS , IF HIS WIFE BOUGHT HIM A HARLEY , SHE MUST NOT REALLY LOVE HIM ! SECOND THING , HE MAY WANT TO KEEP THE XS1100 , WHEN HE GETS TIERED OF THE HARLEY BREAKING DOWN , HE'LL NEED SOMETHING TO RIDE , SO HE'LL BE GLAD THAT HE KEPT IT ! "LOL":rofl_200::punk:

Wow...you just raised two VERY good points!!!!! :worthy:

Decent, fun bikes. Had a 80 Midnight Spec. Loved that scooter. 4th best bike I ever had, next to a Maxim X, and old n new Max.

Just saw a prime one on e-bay current bid $3000 with 5 days
to go. If it is in good shape, ( Hard to tell in pics ) I'd keep that
sucker ! I remember when they 1st came out, really cool bikes.
Chris

I've owned 3 XS11's. It doesn't take a lot of work to have a really nice bike. The 11 will cruise all day on the freeway or it will beat quite a few bikes out there in a race - including Harleys. It will carry hard bags or a complete fairing. The engines are nearly bullet proof as long as you know what you are doing with the cam chain adjuster!

I can't see the condition but that would be a fair asking price if it were in good shape.

Why don't you have your friend join xs11.com/forums and post the bike on there. That is THE forum for the XS11.

Why don't you have your friend join xs11.com/forums and post the bike on there. That is THE forum for the XS11.

I will mention it to him, but something in the back of my head is telling me that he won't join that forum. He doesn't seem like a computer-friendly person.

Back