How often do you..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
Go WOT in 1st gear?

I'm ashamed to say that I've had my Max for almost a year and still haven't done it. I'm working my way to it but it just seems to rev so fast I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the shift to 2nd.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

About every time I go riding. The key for me is to make sure I either have or can get my left leg up quick enough to make the shift. So far I haven't had any problems.

At least a few times a trip when I ride. I like to power shift second just a little to get a nice littlt wheelie between gears.:biglaugh:

Ya, I can get a little wheelie when I hit second clutching. Do you guys generally do a clutchless shift from 1st to 2nd?

Whenever you shift fast try pre-loading the shift lever. This means putting pressure on the lever to the point where it stops and keeping 5 or 6 pounds of pressure on it as you shift and increase pressure as you shift. It's not "speed shifting" or clutchless shifting. It just makes shifting quicker and easier. Only works for up shifting, though.

You could also try a shift light mounted on top of the speedo. Ya can't look at the tach. anyways:ummm:.

Lew

I have to say I haven't gone WOT in first yet, probably only half way maaaaaybe a little more, I have yet to redline any gear yet. I want to be sure she is solid first.. Just for safety's sake (and I might be a bit of a puss). I did however wash and wax her today.. MAN, these are such beautiful bikes when they are clean! (Or dirty, lol) I even waxed the motor! Thread jack over, sorry.

I've done it more times than I can count. I would be ashamed if I didn't do it. The most fun is when it hooks up and carries the front till I shift.:biglaugh:

Well, it turns out I was already there or very close to it. I focused on hitting the stop on the throttle and it was no different than other hard launches.

:rofl_200:

Like others, I think I did about every other time I pulled out from somewhere today. I live in an area with a lot of open road.
It's really hard to predict what it's gonna do though. It'll either break loose, or it'll pick the front up.
I don't ride it like that everytime I ride, I was just feelin a little spiney today.

If I wind first out like that, it almost always kicks the front end up when shifted into second.

once in a while not to often.. i know what it can do...took a close look tonight while in first ... by the time you feel the kick of the boost at 7000 its 8500 rpm ..thats where ill shift,,,then just soft shift to 2nd and smile....not racing anyone so no need to bang gears....really have no idea how high the rpm will pull before it drops off..but at 8500 feels like its still pulling hard.....im sure if i ever get a little street race of the lights going....and it will happen someday...i wont be looking at tach...but ill know where 8500 is with just the feel of the boost.....really like the bike so im not out there to bang gears when riding alone

Shouldn't the question be: When don't you go wot in 1st gear? LOL!

I open it up every chance that I get.Can't do it much when the wife is on or in traffic.

My favorite thing to do is run him up to about 5.5K in first from a slow roll while leaning forward, then hammer the gas and short shift into second. Standing up on the pegs while leaning forward with your head past the bars has a great result.

Nice long twisty 2nd gear burnout while in the boost range. If you time the shift into 3rd just right while sitting down hard, and 3rd gear wheelie should result. All my buddies ask me how the hell do you do that, or WTF did you just do :biglaugh:

I have a friend with a 2006 SE Vrod and this is my favorite way to humiliate him.

The balance point is soooo small on these bikes, it's either 11 o'clock or tire smoke, so be careful.

Neil

Latest posts

Back