Idle Rpm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorhead

Reaction score
Hey Guy's, So what should the RPM at Idle be set at. I dont have a manual. It is for a 2006 with no mods.

2nd question. Anyone else have a front end wobble between around 40 -50 mph when you let off the throttle and lighten your grip I get a wobble. rest of the time no issues. Is this just how the bike handle or is this an issue? I have checked tire pressure. I have made certain both forks are set with equal 10# of air pressure. Tire seems to be balanced. ?????
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Motorhead

TAKE OFF YOUR AIR BOX COVER , THERES A UNDER HOOD STICKER LIKE ON A CAR ON THE UNDER SIDE OF IT ! ... I SET MY 2006 AT 1,100 RPM'S " HOT " & IT LOVES IT ! .. :punk:

Hey Guy's, So what should the RPM at Idle be set at. I dont have a manual. It is for a 2006 with no mods.

2nd question. Anyone else have a front end wobble between around 40 -50 mph when you let off the throttle and lighten your grip I get a wobble. rest of the time no issues. Is this just how the bike handle or is this an issue? I have checked tire pressure. I have made certain both forks are set with equal 10# of air pressure. Tire seems to be balanced. ?????
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Motorhead

my idle is just above 1000, anything lower and i think youre risking having oil pressure issues. look to see how fast your oil disappears from the sight glass

i have an 03 that does the same thing, only around 45 MPH, very scary. i just put new tires on it so I'll see if that does anything. i almost wanna bet they all do that... the rear wheel isnt lined up with the front. if you look at a tank slapper after a wheelie, its because they land with the bars turned, the front end goes wild...

Hi Motorhead - welcome to the site!

Service Manual (HERE) states idle speed at 950-1050 rpm

The wobble you are describing is very common and most often results from the steering head bearings not being tight enough. Try the bounce test: put the bike on the center stand and then jack up the front of the engine until the front wheel is clear. Hold the wheel straight, and then let it fall to either side. When the forks hit the steering stops on the lower triple they should just stay there without bouncing at all. If you've got the wobble, they will likely bounce when you do this. I am going to put my front end back together soon and I could add a write up then on how to fix this, but you should be able to find what you need on here somewhere. Google "furbur fix" is nothing else and that should get you somewhere

Hang on, check out the guide HERE. You shouldn't have to replace the bearings entirely, just get down to that adjuster nut and tighten it until it doesn't bounce.

Hope that helps - post again if you have other questions

Hi Motorhead - welcome to the site!

Service Manual (HERE) states idle speed at 950-1050 rpm

The wobble you are describing is very common and most often results from the steering head bearings not being tight enough. Try the bounce test: put the bike on the center stand and then jack up the front of the engine until the front wheel is clear. Hold the wheel straight, and then let it fall to either side. When the forks hit the steering stops on the lower triple they should just stay there without bouncing at all. If you've got the wobble, they will likely bounce when you do this. I am going to put my front end back together soon and I could add a write up then on how to fix this, but you should be able to find what you need on here somewhere. Google "furbur fix" is nothing else and that should get you somewhere

Hang on, check out the guide HERE. You shouldn't have to replace the bearings entirely, just get down to that adjuster nut and tighten it until it doesn't bounce.

Hope that helps - post again if you have other questions
THATS WHAT MY MANUAL SAYS ALSO , BUT CONTRADICTS MY UNDER AIR BOX COVER STICKER ! .. :confused2:.. BUT MINE LOVES 1,100 RPM'S !

Look Under "Your" Air Box Cover When You Get A Chance , I'm Curious What rpm's Yours Say's !

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful bunch!!!
I was told at the local bike shop it was just kinda normal for that bike and a few other similiar bikes as well. didnt sound right so thought I would follow up. I will try the bounce test and go from there.

Latest posts

Back