It was a perfect summer night...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 MAX-fan

Reaction score
1989- Great lakes Dragaway Wi. One of my co-horts and I had finished the bike brackets late that night, and in an unusuall set of circumstances they opened up the track for time shots late. Conditions were perfect and the track had awesome grip. I was riding my 1988 GSXR 750 and getting 1.6 sec 60 foot times and 11.4 runs consistantly. My friend was pissed big time as he had been running his 85 MAX for years trying to break into the elusive 10 sec range without success. It had the period correct mods, Kerker pipe with the comp can, stage seven kit etc. And I fell in love with it after hearing the built v8 sound scream from the burnout pit at the track. His last run did it, after proclaiming that he would "sell the Fu!&##" if it didn't go 10 that night he ran a 10.9 second pass with much applause. Afterwards he says to me, "lets switch rides, your bike screams and I want to see how you holeshot me on that thing so often". I was extatic for the chance and very few others would have been trusted with my ride. After a brief discussion of launch tactics we established: MAX- roll it out at 4k and then let it go. GSXR- Wind it to 9500, let it grab, drop the clutch and if you did it right it would carry the front end into the second gear shift. His first run wasn't bad considering that these two bikes were totally opposite, he scored a 11.9 and I was supprised. Mine was a lesson for sure. After staging, and bringing it to 4k the light came down and I rolled it out only to get into it and completely smoke the tire. Backing down and grabbing more throttle I smoked it hard again before getting it to hook and finishing the run with a time to tall to mention. Ran it three more times and wrung a 11.3 from it for my best. AWESOME experience, and I vowed to own one some day.
Well here we are almost twenty years latter I got one, a red 85. Mostly stock. I tried to find a clean low millage stocker knowing what I did to my GSXR after 4 years of bracket bashing and street racing, but couldn't find a clean one at a reasonable price. Heck, for a bit more than most I could have stepped up to a ZX14 or a Busa. This one had two adult owners and the last guy had it from around 91, but it still had only 19k on it. He was 60.
Hello everyone, this is an awesome forumn, and I am greatful for all of the knowledge here!

Latest posts

Back