Keeping the front tire down

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
I've had my Vmax since August last year and have become comfortable with the way the max power is in all gears but 1st. I have been practicing launches recently and it really feels like the front wants to come up, I have as yet to go wot after dis-enaging the clutch. I have probably gone 50%-70% and it really feels light.

My question is: if I apply more throttle, how long before the front comes up, and how far will it come up. Am I in danger of looping it?

The bike is a stock 86, rear tire is a 180/70-15 ME880. The rider is 6ft 250lbs.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
I've had my Vmax since August last year and have become comfortable with the way the max power is in all gears but 1st. I have been practicing launches recently and it really feels like the front wants to come up, I have as yet to go wot after dis-enaging the clutch. I have probably gone 50%-70% and it really feels light.

My question is: if I apply more throttle, how long before the front comes up, and how far will it come up. Am I in danger of looping it?

The bike is a stock 86, rear tire is a 180/70-15 ME880. The rider is 6ft 250lbs.

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom
There are a few ways to prevent this.
1) Strap the front end down (compress forks completly) with a tie strap.
2) Hollow front axle with a small diameter axle inside with 2 sledge hammer heads (ive seen this on Kawasaki 600's at the track)
3) Clutch Control, its very hard to slip the clutch with the VMAX since its hydrulic but it can be done and you can launch almost as hard as stretched out sport bikes with a dragshock I am currently 60ft'ing with a 1.55 which is very quick. Yes you will loop it if you dont practice enough I have stood mine up to the 11 O'clock postion when my clutch got hot from lapping at the dragstrip. I have some videos on youtube but the onlyone launching was slow at 1.68 due to a small wheelie pop I am hoping to get 1.55 60 ft launch on video soon. It sounds awesome and looks quick as hell
IMO I have ran the Metzler ME880 180-70-15 which is a great tire and all but I can launch harder with the 170-80-15 believe it or not it leaves a wider contact patch with the road. Plus the sidewall givs a lil more since its 10% taller than the 170.

Latest posts

Back