Lazarus

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should this pile be refurbished?

• No, a pile of smegma should stay where it festers to prevent it spreading.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, kill it with fire before it infects something else!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
My bike, back from the dead! The last tag I had on it I bought before the New Millennium. The tires were date-coded 1997. It needed a lot of work and I just stored it until I could afford it. I did it about the time I bought another home, and the house expenses won-out over the bike every time.

Nearly twelve years later, I decided to see what was left of it. I joined here, and began reading, and getting parts. I asked a friend to do much of the work because he can do it better than I can for much of it, and I now can earn the $ to pay for it, plus he gave me a heckuva deal on the labor, thanks Mike!

I bought it in May of 1993 when it was just 1 y.o. w/1700 mi. on it, the previous owner traded it in on something slower, he wasn't into the VMax Thing. I had previously considered another sportbike to go w/my '87 FZR1000, I looked at two different Ducati 851's (they were still current) and a Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, but decided I was already doing the sportbike crouch, and wanted something in a 'more-relaxed' posture. My friend at Honda-Yamaha Ft. Lauderdale (FL) showed me the bike and I went to the bank, and paid cash. I have never regretted the purchase.

As you can see there are some differences from a stock 1992, but I like a stock-appearing bike. It is well-squared-away mechanically, and now I can dwell on the aesthetics. Today was the longest ride since I got it working last week, and I recall why I bought one of these in the first place. They are about as fun as you can have on the street, and comfortable.

So, yes, there is a lot of cosmetic refurbishing to do, but the mechanicals are A-OK.

I used the site extensively to research/obtain parts and advice, and thank-you to the members for helping my bike to return to the road once again. :clapping::worthy:

Attachments

• L-3080 Christmas_bike 027.jpg
    L-3080 Christmas_bike 027.jpg
    72.1 KB
That's fantastic mate!

Yes, in fact I believe that all vehicles should be ridden/driven and kept on the road.
Especially vmax's! :punk:

You didn't keep it for 12 years for nothing, did you? :biglaugh:
It's 7 years newer than mine anyway!

That's fantastic mate!

Yes, in fact I believe that all vehicles should be ridden/driven and kept on the road.
Especially vmax's! :punk:

You didn't keep it for 12 years for nothing, did you? :biglaugh:
It's 7 years newer than mine anyway!

You have the First Edition and I have the Seventh Year Edition, mine says-so right on the V.I.N. on the steering head! (Yes, I know, "no 1987's!")

Here are a couple of pics of initial ownership (notice the paper license tag!) and deep-in the resurrection process.

Attachments

• 1992 V Max at Ken's.jpg
    1992 V Max at Ken's.jpg
    72.6 KB
  • 12-28-11.jpg
    12-28-11.jpg
    150.9 KB
Glad you got it going & are riding it now !

A tip o'the hat to CaptainKyle for answering my many questions and for having parts for me when I needed them! :worthy::worthy:

holly_madison_lamppon_2_big.jpg

You get my humble vote F-M I think that any effort is good effort and you are certainly willing to put that in. Good Luck on the cosmetics and Nice job on the mechanics!!

It truly bothers me when I see viable Vmaxes parted needlessly and usually for financial reasons. Some people will not have the know how or resources to bring back a Max on the edge. I understand that. I try to tell myself that these parts are going to keep other bikes going akin to donating an organ. Obviously only the bike owner has a say in the bikes future and parts bikes are plentiful so whenever a resurrection is completed, it's a good thing. SpecOps can tell you first hand that the project can absorb time, labor and money so fast it will make your head spin. Skulduggery is upside down with everything he has put into it. He has learned a lot about Vmaxes and will never recover his investment. He may tell you he has no regrets though. Our bikes take on animated qualities the more we pour into them and I think that is a good thing. You've heard of seller's remorse because a hunk of metal transcends being an object and becomes a part of someone. Congrats on the rebuild FM, I happy for you and your bike! Time to think of a name!
PATMAX

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Well I am not in the habit of naming my rides, but if "Lazarus" can come back from the 'Other Side,' and my bike was close to being parted-out, but I didn't, then "Lazarus" it may be.

Hell, Veronica has a personality all her own.
With the right amount of bourbon and weed, I can hear her thoughts! :punk:

Back